Photo
- - - - -

Calling a locksmith to have "depth keys" made??

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 phoenixzorn

phoenixzorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:53 PM

Anyone have any luck or trouble with calling a locksmith for a set of "Depth Keys"? I was apprenticing with a locksmith a few years ago, and now I live far away from him. I'd like to go to a local and ask for a set of depth keys under the guise that I'm training to be a locksmith, but how do they feel about competition in the area? On that note, if I were training to be a locksmith, it stands to reason that I'd have access to cut my own keys...

I don't mean to sound like a n00b... oh wait, I am one... Since I stopped apprenticing, I've been very interested in locksmithing, and I remember seeing a few depth keys on the guy's key ring, but didn't realize what they were at the time. Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated. I did just call the local smith and asked if he made Kwikset and Schlage depth keys, and he said yes for $2.00 each, but I don't really know what to tell him I need them for... I'm sure "I'm practicing for a lockpicking competition" won't work, so suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 Keyless82

Keyless82

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:01 PM

tell him the truth.... "sir i would like a set of depth keys so i can perform burglaries in your area''

#3 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:59 PM

I wouldnt recommend it

#4 phoenixzorn

phoenixzorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:05 PM

keyless, I have no intention of doing so... I, like most of you here, are interested in the science of lock picking, not crime. I studied under a very good locksmith for a couple weeks, but had to quit because I was moving. I would like to get back into the job again, as I'd like to combine locksmithing, gunsmithing and blacksmithing all into one shop. I was a gunsmith in the Marines, and I work metal very well... Adding locks to the mix will only help my profits. By having a set of depth keys I can get practice with another way of opening locks, and start working again soon.

#5 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:15 PM

We commonly jest about how we're all criminals on here only due to the ease with which the media purports one could be. We try to make sure that everyone here is participating for purely scientific purposes. :)

A locksmith who knows about bump keys is obviously going to be suspicious of your intentions if you're shadily buying depth keys off of them without a declared purpose. The best idea, if you don't want your intentions known, if to buy them from the retail section of this fine site (bumpkey.us) or to make them yourself from existing keys. If metal working is your thing, which it certainly seems to be, then that would make a good project for you. We have a small army of people on the forum here who are happy to assist you in perfecting your homemade keys. I think making your own keys is more rewarding anyway.

Best of luck.

#6 phoenixzorn

phoenixzorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:27 PM

Thanks theopratr... I knew it was kind of in jest, and so I suppose my reply could have been a bit more lighthearted than it was. Anyway, I'm thinking about just going to the local hardware store and buying blanks for $1.50 each, and getting impressions from a few different types of locks. I know it's not the most accurate way to make bump keys, but an impressioned key has yet to fail in a lock that I've seen... once they are cut and working, then I can go to Home Depot or what have you, and get them copied.

Of course, I may just buy them from here, or from one of the many ads on that flea-ridden auction site... and of course, I'll do my research beforehand if I choose the latter. From what I've read so far, the auction keys are not much different than the keys sold here, but there are 15 keys for $25.00 shipped that I'm having a hard time passing up.

#7 Keyless82

Keyless82

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 01:44 AM

keyless, I have no intention of doing so... I, like most of you here, are interested in the science of lock picking, not crime. I studied under a very good locksmith for a couple weeks, but had to quit because I was moving. I would like to get back into the job again, as I'd like to combine locksmithing, gunsmithing and blacksmithing all into one shop. I was a gunsmith in the Marines, and I work metal very well... Adding locks to the mix will only help my profits. By having a set of depth keys I can get practice with another way of opening locks, and start working again soon.

it was just a joke...

#8 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:31 AM

From what I've read so far, the auction keys are not much different than the keys sold here, but there are 15 keys for $25.00 shipped that I'm having a hard time passing up.

Impressioning certainly does work, if you are looking to open a specific lock.

The auction keys, although technically not different from what you're dealing with here, have been the cause of great heartache for those who buy them. I am guilty myself, long ago, of indulging the idea of cheap auction keys. They are often shoddily cut on poor quality blanks. The keys they have pictured are often a "representation" of what you receive. The amount of work you have to put into them to make them work essentially equates to your crafting your own bump keys.

In some cases, they are simply poor quality copies of marginal quality bump keys. Like I said, most of the time "finishing" them yourself, armed with knowledge and a decent file set, isn't a problem. Sometimes, however, you'll get keys with inaccurate spacing, resulting in their being completely unsalvagable.

I am not affiliated with bumpkey.us in any way, shape or form. Trust me, save yourself the hours of work and put the extra ten bucks in to get a set of quality keys.

#9 phoenixzorn

phoenixzorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:24 AM

Thanks for the info... again. =) I'm currently bidding on a bunch of key blanks on fleabay from a locksmith who closed his business... I'm sure most of them are completely unusable as bump keys (there are a couple of star key blanks in the auctions) but I just want the blanks for practice with filing and such. If I get them all for a few bucks, it will be worth my time. As for the bump keys, I'll probably be buying from this site after all...

#10 WOT

WOT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:32 PM

Anyone have any luck or trouble with calling a locksmith for a set of "Depth Keys"? I was apprenticing with a locksmith a few years ago, and now I live far away from him. I'd like to go to a local and ask for a set of depth keys under the guise that I'm training to be a locksmith, but how do they feel about competition in the area? On that note, if I were training to be a locksmith, it stands to reason that I'd have access to cut my own keys...

I don't mean to sound like a n00b... oh wait, I am one... Since I stopped apprenticing, I've been very interested in locksmithing, and I remember seeing a few depth keys on the guy's key ring, but didn't realize what they were at the time. Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated. I did just call the local smith and asked if he made Kwikset and Schlage depth keys, and he said yes for $2.00 each, but I don't really know what to tell him I need them for... I'm sure "I'm practicing for a lockpicking competition" won't work, so suggestions would be appreciated.

Get the full set... Depth keys is basically the only way to make a key by code with a manual key machine.

#11 LockGoddess

LockGoddess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:47 PM

Bump keys dont have to be cut to a certain depth. Most any key of the same keyway will work.

#12 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:22 PM

Bump keys dont have to be cut to a certain depth. Most any key of the same keyway will work.

It is true that there is no "certain depth", but they must be cut with grooves that are less than or equal to the lowest pin depth such that no bottom pins will bind.