Photo
- - - - -

Anyone ever successfully bumped a 6 or 7 pin Best?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 WOT

WOT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:59 PM

Best (icore) is a pin and tumbler lock, but I think they're virtually impossible to bump. There are two separate shear lines in a Best lock and the two can not move simultaneously.

One is the control line, which allows the core to be removed. The other is the operating. When you bump it, the pins would randomly catch on one or the other, binding each other.

Anyone ever succeded in defeating them?

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 08:42 PM

I bagged a six pin that used the BE2 blank. It took me a while, however. There was another that used a BE8 blank. I made a bump key for it, but didn't get it open.

The first lock used light tension and a very light bump, with about a dozen attempts before it worked. I probably got lucky. :)

The lock was part of a lock-in-handle system on a bathroom door at Barnes and Noble. Apparently they lost they keys, as they never lock them, and they called me. That retailer almost exclusively uses Best locks.

#3 WOT

WOT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 06:03 AM

I bagged a six pin that used the BE2 blank. It took me a while, however. There was another that used a BE8 blank. I made a bump key for it, but didn't get it open.

The first lock used light tension and a very light bump, with about a dozen attempts before it worked. I probably got lucky. :)

The lock was part of a lock-in-handle system on a bathroom door at Barnes and Noble. Apparently they lost they keys, as they never lock them, and they called me. That retailer almost exclusively uses Best locks.

I just did another 20 tries or so on the bench using a 6 pin core. Still no success. I think pins are randomly catching at operating shear and control shear.

#4 lymn

lymn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 02:19 PM

These buggers are freaking tough, I am trying to do the one here on my door and I just can't seem to get it...

#5 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:24 PM

I found a Best lock today, BE2 blank, haven't gotten it yet. :x

I think I'm going to rip this thing apart and see where everything is getting mucked up. I know before I said that a low impact, short throw kind of bump would work. I stand by that it worked once, but at this point, not much more than that.

Perhaps a key cut such that the pins really get hit hard with a quick jerk of a turn would work, such that the top pins were shot well above the top shear line?

I'll be experimenting.

#6 phoenixzorn

phoenixzorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:07 PM

theopratr, you might try to cut a fresh blank for that lock... instead of a triangle or square file, use a round file that will make the same size valley as the tiny-peaked keys. Instead of making points at the peaks, file them slightly round, and take a little bit more off the head of the key... you should end up with a "wavy" key instead of a peak and valley key, and hell... it might work. Theoretically, it SHOULD produce more "throw" when you bump it because the slope up to the peak is exponential. By rounding the peaks, you reduce the chance of the key getting stuck in the lock. Just a suggestion, keep us apprised of how you are doing. =)

#7 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:25 AM

More throw is, in theory, what I'm looking for. I'll sort through my pile of keys and see if I can come up with another blank. Thanks for the input. :)

#8 phoenixzorn

phoenixzorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:14 AM

I did some more research on your problem, and I found a UK based site that has 3 different key cuts on one type of blank that can open 80% of all locks... Amazing what they did really, the key has no shoulders, has a slightly shaved tip, and either a jagged cut, round file peaked cut, or a serpentine cut. The serpentine cut is what I was talking about in my last post, and they tout it as their best key... Don't know if I can post this here, but the site is www.ukbumpkeys.com, and they seem to know what they are doing. They have a video on YouTube of a guy opening 6 or 7 different types of locks with one key.

#9 phoenixzorn

phoenixzorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:35 AM

Here's a picture of their cuts... Posted Image

#10 MrLocks

MrLocks

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:46 AM

I also tried once on this and unfortunately no success is there. But I am going to practice a lot on that to bump that.
Sandy