• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 darkarchives

darkarchives

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:31 PM

Sorry for posting so many questions, but this is some really interesting stuff. I bought a 5 pin kwikset deadbolt for practicing while just holding it in one hand. I can successfully bump that lock in three tries or less. My next move is a schlage deadbolt, one which is in a door. I know its not a very good idea to try it on locks that are in use, but i dont have the $$$ to go and buy one for practice. Is there much difference between the two types of locks? Also, how different is it to go from bumping in hand to bumping in door? Thanks.

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:12 AM

Definitely don't make a habit out of bumping locks that aren't explicitly yours and specifically for bumping practice. If you don't have the funds to buy a lock now, you won't when you break the one you're practicing on. I pulled the "it won't happen to me" more than once in this situation.

You have less control of tension when the lock isn't in your hand. It's a different feeling. Be more careful in how you situate yourself around the lock, and experiment. I find the Schlage cylinders much more difficult than the Kwikset varieties, which isn't saying a whole lot as the Kwikset line is absolutely worthless when faced with bump keys.

#3 darkarchives

darkarchives

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:01 AM

Thanks, I will most likely get a schlage lock in about a week to practice on.

#4 ChicagoLocks

ChicagoLocks

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:39 AM

Yeah give it a try. I myself practiced a lot on schlage locks and it makes you perfect of that.
Sandy