• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 darkarchives

darkarchives

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:33 AM

I stupidly did not get any copies of my keys made before i filed down the shoulder and tips for the Minimal movement method. Do you guys think that it would be wise to try and get copies of the modded keys, or would they raise too much suspicion.

#2 kutibah

kutibah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:40 AM

Umm, not sure, but technically it's illegal to possess a bump key thats been filed down, so....I wouldn't do it.

#3 kinghajj

kinghajj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:00 AM

Why is it illegal to posses a bumpkey with the tip/shoulder filed down? Sure, it has an illegal use, but it also has many other legal uses. That's how VCRs were kept legal. A good lawyer could probably get you off for just possessing a bumpkey.

#4 sniper101

sniper101

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:08 AM

i've gotten my custom made keys copied, with the shoulder and the tip already modified and the woman was clueless to what she was copying and there was no trouble.

when i got my keys from here (bumpkey.us) i went to copy them just as i got them, and the guy did it but he asked me if these keys were for some special custom made lock because he had never seen keys with such low cuts.

#5 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:05 PM

Copying your keys after you've already modified them can raise a bit of suspicion, because they've obviously been "worn" in ways that normal keys wouldn't. Additionally, if you find some idiot who's copying their keys by lining the tips of the keys up, they won't come out close to right. Fortunately for you, however, most places use the head of the key for alignment, so it's not an issue.

If you're cruising around hardware stores looking for someone to copy your key, just use basic profiling to figure out who isn't going to give you a hard time or know what a bump key is. And if they do, I seriously doubt that anyone who's getting paid $7.75 an hour would really care enough to do anything about it above and beyond not serving you. If you're really nervous, copy one key at a time so they don't see that ALL of your keys are completely cut to the deepest possible depth... just get one copied and claim you got lucky.

If asked, you're doing a project about locks and keys. "These are depth keys showing how deep each pin can go. We measure it experimentally, it's a project for my engineering technology class. Each member of my group needs a set... so give me four copies of each."

You can tell them whatever you want. If you dress well and don't go walking around with your tail between your legs, no one will even question you, never mind refuse to serve you.

#6 darkarchives

darkarchives

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:10 PM

Ya, I did some recon on the copy places around my area, I could most likely social engineer a response if I needed. Fortunately for me, however, I only filed down the KW1 and SC1 keys. Since I own the six pin versions of each and have not touched them, ill just get them copied instead.

#7 blaze

blaze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:32 PM

I made my own bump from an old key. Once it worked, I took it to a large super store and had copies made. No problems, no one even noticed.

#8 MrLocks

MrLocks

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:01 AM

I think keeping copies is always a good idea you never know what will happen while bumping so these copies are good backup
Sandy