4 replies to this topic

#1 Master Cutter

Master Cutter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:27 AM

hello
I was always confused as to why vendors only offer keys cut in ONE bump-pattern. My experience tells me different patterns can make the difference - even when cut at the same depth - between a successful bump and not.
There are other benifits too. I've developed a 'serpentine' style cut, like the humps of a sea-monster. Not only do I find this hugely successful, but as far as I can work out it has the most metal of any bump pattern and therefore will last longer. I the drawing you'll see all three, but the photo's are of my radiused/rounded cut and the serpentine. What do you think?
Also, is everyone (who makes keys) aware of Vernier callipers? If you're not, check them out on google
regards
Master Cutter
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:26 AM

Your design would also make it less likely to have a stuck key. Great idea.
Bump it to the next level.

#3 Master Cutter

Master Cutter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:49 PM

Thank you very much, that pattern makes a fine bump key. You know, as I use that pattern all the time, I'd forgotten some bump-keys get stuck, it's just not something that's part of my bump-vocabulary. I remember when I first started making keys I'd occasionally get a key completely stuck, Trying to make radiused with the wrong tools and the wrong know-how, the 'unknow-how' as it were, and way one of them got stuck. Cleverly - and if most people were to be honest they'd admit it too - I'd put it in a lock on an in-use door. My neighbours' (that is the correct UK spelling) front door at that. It was extra stupid as I almost knew it would happen as it was a razor sharp little weapon really, with five deadly ninja-like spikes along the ridge. Anyway, after putting all my strength into yanking it out (with my other hand pushing up the pins with a pick), I lacerated my finger tip until I was bleeding profusely.
I also managed to scrape the screen of my ipod-nano rendering it useless and all musical choices a random product of many random choices.
There's a couple of lessons there:
1 - Sharp bits of metal cut your hand open and make you cry like a girl
2 - The self same bit of metal can ruin your cellphone/ipod/bollock
Cheers all, all comments welcomed
Master Cutter

#4 C0wT1pp3r

C0wT1pp3r

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:52 PM

lol. that wasnt such a good idea. but does it really matter THAT much on american schlage locks? just wondering, because i would very much like to use a smooth bump key instead of the traditional angled key.

#5 Tim

Tim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:36 PM

I think smooth edges in the valleys will work great because the pins move easily in this type of filing.