• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tom_beach22

tom_beach22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 10:53 PM

i just got my keys today in the mail, haven't tried them yet but a couple look a bit sketchy... like the bumps aren't big enough.

here are some pics.

Posted Image

this pic its just the bottom one, tops there just for reference to size

Posted Image

and lastly for the pull out method i DONT have to file down right?

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:18 AM

So long as the bumps on the key are impacting the pins, you're golden. In actuality, the smaller the bumps are, the less resistance you have and the less force you need when you strike the key. The best key I have for padlocks, for example, is a home brewed version with minuscule bumps that requires less force in hitting the key and tension in turning, and I have a KW1 that works in the same way.

Additionally, the way your bump key is constructed, it makes for a more dramatic change in direction, as there is plenty of room within the grooves of the key for the pin to rest such that it will insure that the transfer of energy is clean.

And for the pull out method, you certainly don't need to file. Just pull out one click (one pin), apply tension and give it a bump. The removal of the tip and filing of the shoulder is only necessary if you don't want to be pulling it out each time. If done properly, either method works wonderfully.

If you're looking for more information of methodology or problems with keys, refer to the search function, the sticky topics under questions, or post here again.

#3 tom_beach22

tom_beach22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:29 AM

i have a question i couldnt find a answer for. how much force? like opening a pop can force or like soft or hard? for hitting the key? what are some ho9use hold items i could use as a bump hammer, just thought ruler and a metal thing on the end... ive seen videos but its hard to tell how hard they are hitting. i think the tension i should pput on is alost none. for a weiser lock. i am putting a feather like weight. what should i do?

#4 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:20 AM

i have a question i couldnt find a answer for. how much force? like opening a pop can force or like soft or hard? for hitting the key? what are some ho9use hold items i could use as a bump hammer, just thought ruler and a metal thing on the end... ive seen videos but its hard to tell how hard they are hitting. i think the tension i should pput on is alost none. for a weiser lock. i am putting a feather like weight. what should i do?

Every lock will be different. Every lock has its own "personality". I have 5 KwikSet single cylinder deadbolts and each one takes different torque tension and each one takes different amounts of force on the hit. It is purely trial and error. One thing most folks do not do is walk away! If you are frustrated it will be next to impossible to get anything to work including bump keys. Walk away, do some deep breathing, calm yourself, then try again, Grasshopper. It really does make a difference. Cussin' and throwing locks, keys or tools won't make bump keys work.

Also, if you have a basic understanding of how a pin tumbler lock works, you will be ahead of the curve on getting your keys to work. Read the MIT Guide to Lock Picking (Google it). This will give you a basic understanding of pin tumbler locks and the inner workings of them. Get a cheap KwikSet lock and take it apart and play with it. This will make your reading real. It is worth the $10.00 if you are really interested in learning about how bump keys work, how locks work and how incredibly worthless locks really are in keeping your stuff safe (the last part was a public service announcement from your local locksmith).

The most important part is to have fun learning. I will admit that it can get very frustrating at times, but just walk away for a few minutes and when you start back, have fun, play with, experiment with your toys. You will learn much more.

*Stepping off my Soap Box to get another cup of coffee.*
Bump it to the next level.

#5 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:32 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself. Do as he says. :D

As for the force of the strike and the tension...

You're hitting the key. Not tapping it, but not whacking it hard enough such that damage may result. You can hit it with almost anything that has enough mass as to translate into enough force to pop the pins up in the lock. I've used a screwdriver handle, a padlock, a shoe, a ruler with a half-roll of quarters taped to it... it's a careful balance of mass to speed, with neither one in excess.

As for the tension, it's just enough tension to turn the key once the lock is unlocked. Imagine how much you need to turn to make the normal key work, and that's it. Too much tension and you'll prevent it from being bumped open, and insufficient tension will result in your bumping it with the proper force, and simply failing to turn the key.

Trial and error. Get on that.