• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sniper101

sniper101

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:07 PM

hi i just got my keys from bumpkey.us, and i am going to make copies. i am just wondering if someone could post the amount of tension and force required for the following keys:

schlage (sc1&sc4)
weiser (wr5)
Kwikset (k10 & kw1)
Padlock key

thanks,

and one more question, if i modify the key (file down the tip and shoulder), wil i still be able to use that key for the pull out method, or just the minimal movement.

just one more question (sorry for so many) do you suggest filing down the valleys a tiny bit, just in case the lock has a pin that goes to the bottom.

thanks very much,

#2 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:17 PM

If you file it, it will theoretically work for both methods.

If you do file the cuts down a bit (that's a lockie pun), you won't hurt anything and it might just help.
Bump it to the next level.

#3 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:24 AM

Tension for all of the above should be pretty easy to determine through trial and error, and in the end are all practically similar, with the exception of the M1 key for the padlock. That requires slightly more tension, but nothing crazy. Think about pressing the button on an elevator. You shouldn't need much more than that, and often much less.

And as BLK clearly states: after filing, pull out still works. I find that sometimes if the tip of your key isn't cleanly finished it can necessitate more force in striking the key, as it adds some friction, but this is generally rather negligible.

And when you buy bump keys, they're generally cut the the exact lowest level, such that a low pin will ruin your fun. Carefully filing down the grooves a tad bit never hurts, just make sure to keep the structure of the bumps on the key the same. (Keep the constant slope of the bump and the amount of flat space between the bumps.)

#4 Ronny

Ronny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:49 PM

Yeah filing is the most vital part in the whole bumping process and yes you can file the valleys bit more but carefully otherwise it will ruin the key.