• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rjd

rjd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:52 AM

By utility box, I mean the cable box located inside the house which all low voltage cables, like TV, telephone and networking cables, are connected to. I lost the original keys. I only remember that the key handle is round.

#2 fred5874

fred5874

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:18 AM

If you lost you original key, just ask the cable company for a new one.

#3 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:04 PM

I agree. First plan of action is to ask the cable company for a new key.

If for some reason this is difficult or fruitless, look into lock picking. If the lock that you are referring to is the type that I'm familiar with, it's a small wafer lock. Bumping is almost exclusively restricted to pin tumblers, and is of little use when dealing with wafer tumbler locks.

I've opened the kind of lock that you refer to with the file portion of folding nail clippers, in a pinch. Use the small file portion as a jiggler of sorts. The tolerances of the lock are poor enough such that a rocking motion applied to the file with some tension applied usually compromises the lock in five minutes or less. Just be gentle, you don't want to damage anything.

#4 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:22 PM

It should be a Yale key way. And it should be a wafer lock, so bumping is not an option. Picking is quite fun with wafer locks.

But I do agree with the others: Call the cable company for another key.
Bump it to the next level.

#5 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:41 PM

Yale does seem to be the likely culprit with the rounded head. Not positive though.

Without a picture all of my input is conjecture, as I'm sure there are extremely wide variances in what different power/cable/phone companies use in terms of locking up their low security equipment.

#6 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:53 PM

Yale does seem to be the likely culprit with the rounded head. Not positive though.

Without a picture all of my input is conjecture, as I'm sure there are extremely wide variances in what different power/cable/phone companies use in terms of locking up their low security equipment.

The only ones in the mid-South are Yale or ACE, but very few ACE. In Nashville I have only seen Yale.
Bump it to the next level.