• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Fat Erik

Fat Erik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:56 PM

I've been picking locks for around a year and a half. I found this site while youtubing and decided to buy a set and a hammer.

The confounding thing is that I seem unable to bump my practice locks. I got it once, by a fluke, but have not been able to do it again. I've noticed that a lot of people say that the problem is most likely the amount of torque I am applying to the key.

I can tell that many of the pins were moved properly because after each unsuccessful bump, I can hear them falling back into the plug.

So, with all that in mind, do any of you have any suggestions? Should I try a some different locks?

Also, I can't seem to find any demos on the minimal movement method. I've seen numerous references to the TOOOL website, but can't seem to find any well articulated or "user-friendly" guides.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

#2 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 08:22 AM

I could be just a matter of finding that sweet spot with the tension

-or-

one or more of your pins might be a 9, in which case you will need to file the valleys of your cuts slightly deeper.

It doesn't hurt to try filing the valleys down a little more as this will also fix your problem if you encounter another lock with a 9 pin HOWEVER...
before you start doing that.....copy your keys. Always make sure you are working with a copy when you are practicing filing.

#3 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:33 AM

I think it's time to start a sticky thread 'my keys don't work'.... heh ;d

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#4 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 10:32 AM

I think it's time to start a sticky thread 'my keys don't work'.... heh ;d

Great Idea!!!

Now can you "force" new members to only be able to see that and the FAQ's and any "Read This First" stuff before they can post?
Bump it to the next level.

#5 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:23 PM

Sadly I don't know that much about phpbb.

This one might be a question for Kristic... ? :lol: :roll:

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#6 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 04:01 PM

Sadly I don't know that much about phpbb.

This one might be a question for Kristic... ? :lol: :roll:

Yeah, it can be done. I'll have to talk about it wiht you though, and if I do do it, I wont be able to til atleast sunday. Finals and all

#7 Fat Erik

Fat Erik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:31 PM

I could be just a matter of finding that sweet spot with the tension

-or-

one or more of your pins might be a 9, in which case you will need to file the valleys of your cuts slightly deeper.

It doesn't hurt to try filing the valleys down a little more as this will also fix your problem if you encounter another lock with a 9 pin HOWEVER...
before you start doing that.....copy your keys. Always make sure you are working with a copy when you are practicing filing.

Sounds like a plan. I made a few copies earlier in the week, so I'll give it a try. Thanks. :D

#8 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:03 PM

If you get that to work......I praise you....

#9 Fat Erik

Fat Erik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:40 PM

Just for the sake of eliminating a little part of my boundless ignorance, would anyone like to take the time to explain to me what exactly a "9 pin" is? I assume it means that the pin is quite a bit longer than the rest?

I would just like to try to understand a little more what I'm doing before I try to modify perfectly good bump keys.

#10 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 10:03 PM

Just for the sake of eliminating a little part of my boundless ignorance, would anyone like to take the time to explain to me what exactly a "9 pin" is? I assume it means that the pin is quite a bit longer than the rest?

I would just like to try to understand a little more what I'm doing before I try to modify perfectly good bump keys.

Well, the levels of your key are cut to the lowest settings, which is 9. So you may have a pin, that goes down the the nine level. If thats the case, it just means, file down the valleys a little more, not a huge deal.

#11 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:58 AM

because when you bump a lock that has a 9 pin, you will actually bump it up too far. Most of the pins will pop up and be "open" but that one pin will bind preventing the lock from opening.

#12 Fat Erik

Fat Erik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 05:35 PM

because when you bump a lock that has a 9 pin, you will actually bump it up too far. Most of the pins will pop up and be "open" but that one pin will bind preventing the lock from opening.

That makes more sense now, thank you. I took the lock in question apart and the very last pin is a 9 pin. So, another amateur question... should I only filed down the first valley in the key or just go ahead and file them all down a mm or two?

#13 Fat Erik

Fat Erik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:20 AM

WoopaH! I believe my problem has been solved. I filed down the valleys as was suggested and after a few whacks, it opened right up. Each attempt after that only took a few tries before the lock opened.

Thanks to everyone for their patience and willingness to help a newb.

Back to practicing.

#14 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:54 PM

A little late but I'm glad you got it.

Happy New Years!

James K. - Lead Support