Photo
- - - - -

What is the point of filing down the shoulder?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Keyless82

Keyless82

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:40 PM

The shoulder of my key stays on the outside of the lock and it doesnt effect how deep the keep can go at all

#2 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:06 PM

The shoulder of my key stays on the outside of the lock and it doesnt effect how deep the keep can go at all

Have you filed down the keys tip aswell?

#3 Keyless82

Keyless82

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:13 PM

[quote name='Kristic][quote=Keyless82']The shoulder of my key stays on the outside of the lock and it doesnt effect how deep the keep can go at all[/quote]

Have you filed down the keys tip aswell?[/quote]

yes but on the diagram the shoulder part stays outside my lock regardless so whats the point of filing that part?

#4 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:16 PM

It allows the key to enter the lock a little further, pushing up slightly on all the pins simultaneously. Please search the forum

#5 cidkato

cidkato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:42 PM

I assume that you are using a larger key than is required. For example, you are using a 6-pin key on a 5-pin lock. You can bump this lock with the larger key, and you will not have to modify the shoulder whatsoever. Unless the shoulder hits the lock, you will not have to file any extra off of the shoulder.

#6 Virgintamr

Virgintamr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 05:54 PM

It probably matters on certain types of locks. Plus it's easier for someone new to just shave it so he doesn't have to troubleshoot why his key isn't working if that were what was holding him back.

#7 Master Cutter

Master Cutter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:10 AM

take the shoulder off completely. I do and have amazing success. Having no shoulder allows you to exploit lateral movement in the lock dependant on what angle you come at it. It also ( 'it' being a removed shoulder) eliminates tell-tale 'bump-bump' that little dent above the entrance by having a graduated shoulderless shaft. Here:
Posted Image

Here's a vid of me using one on severlal locks. Notice how I use Swing and Clip for the first two, the traditional 'from behind' on the third and (although I cleverly virtually miss with the camera) you can tell (listen) to the way I do the Yale barell. I 'woodpack' it. This is a technique I devised that works on some locks which have otherwise not budged. Listen (look?) for the woodpecking, it works a treat.
This universal key has successfully opened SOME: Mila, Yale, Winkhaus, Zone, Eurolocks, Era,ISEO and others (many testemonials on our forum ukbumpkeys.com)
(please excuse the snuff-like quality of the vid:)
http://video.tinypic...r.php?v=2exoxeg

#8 Tim

Tim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:27 AM

Filing tip and shoulder is necessary to provide some space for key to get inside the lock while hitting with hammer. When we hit key with hammer it goes inside and push all the pins upwards up-to shear line. So this is why shoulder need to be filed.