legal issue pick locking

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:00 AM

I was kinda curious if lock picking's legality in other countries. Im a  little worried that I might be caught and charge if I am caught possessing lock picking tools or bump keys. And read about this.

Lockpicking is generally allowed when permission is granted to the lockpicker by the owner of the lock. In this sense, picking locks that you own is legal. This is similar to the digital laws that allow you to legally hack your own computer.

Most governments require that the intent to commit a crime be present before possession of lockpicking tools is illegal. For example, crowbars and hammers can be used as burglary tools, but until intent is shown or a crime is committed they cannot be considered burglary tools. The same goes for lockpicking tools.

One important consideration is whether your state, local, or national laws consider possession to be prima facie intent to commit a crime. This establishes that possession of tools is illegal because it is "self evident" that tools will be used for malicious intent. In these jurisdictions it is usually required that you be in one of the following categories to legally possess tools:

• Government/Law Enforcement
  • Lock manufacturer/distributor
  • Locksmith (certification required, usually)
  • Automobile dealer
  • Repossessor

#2 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:03 AM

List of countries

Attached Files

#3 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 07:03 AM

That's very informative...thank you for that...the fact that you own the tools and use it to your own property then nothing is wrong...I'm not against the law but if a person would really want to possess something that might be "too hot" in the eyes of the authority, then he should just find a way in order for his tools not to be so "showy"...better safe than sorry...

#4 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:27 AM

That's very informative...thank you for that...the fact that you own the tools and use it to your own property then nothing is wrong...I'm not against the law but if a person would really want to possess something that might be "too hot" in the eyes of the authority, then he should just find a way in order for his tools not to be so "showy"...better safe than sorry...

Welcome. And I agree. You may not be guilty of any illegal activities but it is really better safe than sorry.. :-)

#5 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:48 AM

List of countries

Great, very informative

#6 LockPickIt

LockPickIt

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 03:48 AM

Thank for the list but its obviously incomplete. also, where did you get the list? thanks.