3D Printed Bump Keys

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LockPickIt

LockPickIt

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:50 PM

Someone said this is made from a picture of the keyway: http://boingboing.ne...-make-shor.html

Your thoughts? wink.png

#2 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:40 PM

May as well include the video of the 3d  printed bump key as well since it does provide value:

I've played with 3D printers in the past and the thing that sticks out in my mind is that the material used for the actual printing isn't extremely hard. If anything, after a few bump from a hammer what's going to end up happening is that the key will likely break right in half or the peaks of the key will fall off.  Obviously either case is NOT good!

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#3 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:29 PM

May as well include the video of the 3d  printed bump key as well since it does provide value:

I've played with 3D printers in the past and the thing that sticks out in my mind is that the material used for the actual printing isn't extremely hard. If anything, after a few bump from a hammer what's going to end up happening is that the key will likely break right in half or the peaks of the key will fall off.  Obviously either case is NOT good!

Agreed, at first when i heard of them, it was a little bit surprising to me because it seems like the edges would break off right away while unlocking a lock. But as it turns out, a thin plastic bump key can be made and does function as shown in this video. Not sure how long these keys can last though, but sometimes all you really need is a one time use when trying to open a specific, tricky lock.

#4 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 02:44 AM

Yes it would be for one time use or more...I think the rubber ring that was inserted absorbs the impact therefore making the plastic bump key not really absorbing the entire impact when bumped...but still, it won't last long and it's very risky, what if it breaks into pieces and then some plastics were left inside...

#5 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 08:53 AM

Yes it would be for one time use or more...I think the rubber ring that was inserted absorbs the impact therefore making the plastic bump key not really absorbing the entire impact when bumped...but still, it won't last long and it's very risky, what if it breaks into pieces and then some plastics were left inside...

Perhaps heating the lock to some extent to melt the plastic pieces can help in getting rid of that problem if someone have used them and have that problem, but one thing is for sure no one on this forum will recommend 3D plastic Printed keys for bumping locks

#6 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 10:39 AM

Perhaps heating the lock to some extent to melt the plastic pieces can help in getting rid of that problem if someone have used them and have that problem, but one thing is for sure no one on this forum will recommend 3D plastic Printed keys for bumping locks

Definitely right...3d printer is so cool though...I wish I can have one but it's just too expensive..

#7 LockPickIt

LockPickIt

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:42 AM

Agree that no one will recommend 3D plastic printed keys for bumping locks as it has a long way to go to actually be one of the alternatives for metal, but if that will happen then for sure there will be a big break in the industry of key bumping :)

#8 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:29 AM

Maybe it's less about their quality and more about the method we use in bumping, like the most popular method is "pull back method", and we all know to properly execute that method, the bump key needs to be strong enough to bear some external pressure, if someday we will be able to find another method that can be executed with 3d printed keys, then there is no harm using them,