Photo
- - - - -

if a dexter key fits in a kw lock can it be bumped?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Keyless82

Keyless82

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 01:38 PM

i have certain keys that fit into multiple locks so in theory doesn't that mean any key that fits can bump any lock?

#2 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:11 PM

i have certain keys that fit into multiple locks so in theory doesn't that mean any key that fits can bump any lock?

Theoretically, yes.
Bump it to the next level.

#3 Keyless82

Keyless82

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:49 PM

[quote name='BLK][quote=Keyless82']i have certain keys that fit into multiple locks so in theory doesn't that mean any key that fits can bump any lock?[/quote]

Theoretically, yes.[/quote]

have you every bumped a lock with the ''wrong'' key so to speak before?

#4 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 12:12 AM

If it fits, it could bump it. Maybe.

Just because the key fits into the lock doesn't mean that the pins are all fitting into the proper notches in the key. For example, an SC-1 (5 pin Schlage keyway) may fit into a lock meant to take an SC-4 (6 pin Schlage keyway). The key would fit perfectly, but you could never bump it, as the last pin would remain untouched at the end of the lock.

Some keys do actually work in an interchangeable fashion. For example, although their keyways are slightly different, a KW-1 will fit an IN-3 will fit an HK-1 and so on. So... if you can get the key into the keyway, the key is the proper length (in terms of numbers of pins) AND the spacing in between pins is correct, then bump away.

A good way to find compatibility is to look at the key blank display at your local hardware store. One of the stores I visited has the rotating display on which they keep their blanks. They're all labeled, arranged by manufacturer with what the key goes to and the like. In addition, on the bottom of the tag, it details which, if any, other blanks will suffice in place of that key, in the event that they run out. This display also designated which blanks acted as a master for that manufacturer's keyway, which I found to be of some use. (We all know about the SC-20, but there are others. :D )

#5 Willis

Willis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:31 PM

I agree with previous comment that if any key fits into the lock doesn't mean it can bump the lock. These may be many keys that will fit in the key-way but only correct key will bump it.