Photo
- - - - -

DIY bump key..could you have a look please?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 smaua

smaua

• Just Registered
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:17 AM

Hi everybody,

I made these 2 keys just by copying one low cut on another key..with a machine but moving the key along and realigning it every time..found it quite hard cause any small misalignment and the key is wasted.

Basically it's the first time i try to make a bump key..and from what i can figure out, they are pretty good, obviously they don't work though. The only thing that i can see that is wrong is that the cuts go in a kind of slope, going up at the tip of the key..? I am wondering if that's all that is wrong or if you can see anything else? As well as if thats the only thing, wondering if you have any suggestions/tricks of how to copy this key without the slope problem? Feels like it will be a pain aligning it to fix the slope.

Thanks a lot!

p.s. i am trying to make these myself with just a key cutter/copier and a known 9 cut..and not to buy any ready made key..so i understand it's hard but still would like to try to make a working bump key this way. 

20151125_132437.jpg

20151125_132556.jpg

20151125_132534.jpg

• xcaliber likes this

#2 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:10 PM

The suggestion I would provide would be to file the valleys down a bit further, because the key you made does look pretty good.  One way to know if that would be necessary is to look at the original key (if you have it) or pull the pins out and drop them in the valley of the key --  does the pin go all the way to the bottom? 

Two theories for this:  either it's not deep enough or it's not quite wide enough at the bottom.  Pulling the pin would let you know --  especially if it's pinned to a deep pin as it is.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#3 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:24 PM

Well, good job with the key, the only problem i am seeing is some carelessness with filing the valleys. You need to trace the valleys as a replica of the original key as a single valley filed incorrectly can ruin the whole key. Move the key to and for in the lock as you filing the valleys on it, adjust your hand and don't go on hit and trial basis, just focus on the smoothness and the rotation of the key. You must be careful with each pin and trace the key accordingly

#4 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:45 PM

Wow. That's cool. Great job! How's it now?

#5 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:37 AM

Still good job on able to make one...did you tried that on other locks if it worked???

#6 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:50 PM

The suggestion I would provide would be to file the valleys down a bit further, because the key you made does look pretty good.  One way to know if that would be necessary is to look at the original key (if you have it) or pull the pins out and drop them in the valley of the key --  does the pin go all the way to the bottom? 

Two theories for this:  either it's not deep enough or it's not quite wide enough at the bottom.  Pulling the pin would let you know --  especially if it's pinned to a deep pin as it is.

Im not an expert and so this suggestion helps a lot. Understanding the mechanism or how it works is really important to make a working bump key. The depth and width should really be taken into consideration in making a working bump keys. Thanks! :-)

#7 LockPickIt

LockPickIt

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:53 PM

agreed with redcity with regards to the filing the valleys. but srsly why not buy a good one?

#8 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:11 PM

agreed with redcity with regards to the filing the valleys. but srsly why not buy a good one?

Its all about passion of some people towards bump keys, there are hundred of videos of you tube showing people having great fun in making their own bump keys but yes its better to buy that kind of stuff from some professional.