• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mzenzer

mzenzer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:49 PM

I didn't see a reference for it here after I did a search and I think I am correctly assuming that for a standard defiant house lock that one would use a KW1 bump key. Is that the case? Thanks,

Mike

#2 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:16 AM

Defiant is a KW1
Bump it to the next level.

#3 mzenzer

mzenzer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:05 PM

Defiant is a KW1

Thanks!

#4 hermit

hermit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:46 PM

Hi guys,

I've been trying to bump a defiant KW1 lock and haven't been able to. I know the key is good as I've bumped several Kwikset locks just fine, and the key is definitely a KW1. Any ideas?

Thanks!

#5 newguy

newguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:51 AM

I have similar frustrations. I make my own KW1 (and 66) bump keys with sharp valleys and peaks, but overall even top height, and both work flawlessly 7 out of 10 times on any door in my house.

However, I bought a brand new Defiant brand lock for an office way, and after reading your post thought I'd give it a try. After nearly a solid hour of attempts, I did not have one successful bump! I took the same key back down to my back kwikset type knob and got it 4 times in a row. (??)

So- I studied the key for the much older doorknobs that my bump keys work on, (some of these knobs go back to the early/mid 80's) versus the brand new Defiant key that it does not work on, and came to the conclusion that the defiant key had much wider flat spots that the pins rest on. Look at the attached sketch of defiant type key teeth.. Not having a flat file that small, I actually purchased a KW1 bump key here and tried it out, unfortunately it yielded the same results as my home made keys. :confused:

Now I'm very curious about this. Has anyone had marked or consistent success bumping a Home Depot line of Defiant brand locks? ??

If so- what's the trick?
this one lock has me feeling like a newbie all over again.

Thanks!

Attached Files

#6 yasin 810

yasin 810

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:48 AM

I also ran into this problem with a defiant when i knew that it was the same as a kwikset. I did finally bump it but it was much harder too bump. Im thinking it may have just had something to do with the wear on the pins and key versus the wear of the older lock. Like i said I did finally get it but with much less of a sucess rate.

#7 MrLocks

MrLocks

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:29 PM

I also ran into this problem with a defiant when i knew that it was the same as a kwikset. I did finally bump it but it was much harder too bump. Im thinking it may have just had something to do with the wear on the pins and key versus the wear of the older lock. Like i said I did finally get it but with much less of a sucess rate.

Yes you are right, this type of lock is harder than kwikset to bump, I even tried may times but success is not always there. practicing on this type of lock need patience.
Sandy