• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 aspiring_bump3r

aspiring_bump3r

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:47 PM

would it be unusual to go to a store with bumpkeys from bumpkey.us and ask for them to be copied? since they are all 999?

#2 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:55 PM

would it be unusual to go to a store with bumpkeys from bumpkeys.us and ask for them to be copied? since they are all 999?

Not at all, they wont notice a thing.

This topic has been discussed quite a bit lately, so please use the search before asking a question, to see if its already been answered. Thanks

And welcome to the forums

#3 Keyless82

Keyless82

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:01 PM

[quote name='Kristic][quote=aspiring_bump3r']would it be unusual to go to a store with bumpkeys from bumpkey.us and ask for them to be copied? since they are all 999?[/quote]

Not at all, they wont notice a thing.

This topic has been discussed quite a bit lately, so please use the search before asking a question, to see if its already been answered. Thanks

And welcome to the forums[/quote]

this topic has gotten alot of ''burn'' lately... What does 999 mean?

#4 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:18 PM

this topic has gotten alot of ''burn'' lately... What does 999 mean?

Locksmiths use the numbers to determine how deep the cuts need to be on the key for each of the individual pins. The lock manufacturers only use pins of certain heights for their bottom pins, and in most cases there are ten varieties, for a balance of simplicity and security. Ten different size possibilities for the bottom pin means that for a five pin lock, the chances of someone having the same key as you for the same type of lock is one in 100,000; the chances of any of their pins matching your own being one in ten. At the same time, a locksmith need only stock eleven pins for that lock: one top pin, and ten sizes of bottom pins. In any case, you can translate the size of the pin to the depth of the cut on the key, and a key that has the deepest cuts for the largest bottom pin size for all five pins would be a 99999.

But who wants to type "9" five times or differentiate between the number of pins in the lock? It's a 999 key.

#5 Akina1021

Akina1021

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:45 PM

correction... it is true that 9 is the lowest setting.. but ONLY for schlage type keys... for example, master lock keys and yale keys(I THINK) lowest setting is a 7.... so if u DO want to go copy a bump key or tell a person to MAKE one, say this exact line: i want this key cut to the lowest setting.
I never quit.... i wanna keep improving in everything i do in life... little by little everyday... i improve my skills...

#6 Kevio

Kevio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:48 PM

i want this key cut to the lowest setting.[/b]

Well if you're copying a bump key, you should have to tell them lowest setting, because it's just a copy of the current key......correct?

I just want to make sure before I go make my copies....I'm hoping my keys come in soon. It's going on a week now. I hope I get them tommorow!
Posted Image
Yea...I posted the 1337th article on the forum.

#7 aspiring_bump3r

aspiring_bump3r

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:34 AM

so just tell them give me the deepest settings huh? thanks for the tip
yeah just placed my order today! cant wait

#8 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:39 AM

Although most lock manufacturers use ten pin sizes, many, as you point out, use a different number making their lowest setting less than "nine". I forgot who it was, but someone was even just using six.

When you get your key copied, you'll be lucky if you can identify anything that looks like intelligent life. Hand them your bump key, they'll dutifully match it up with a similar blank and copy it for you, no questions asked. The only time you'd have to worry about the "lowest settings" would be when you were trying to get someone to fabricate a bump key for you, i.e. a locksmith, without an original key.

Personally, I'd say that the people at Home Depot copying your key are much less likely to know what it is than a locksmith being told to fabricate one.

#9 aspiring_bump3r

aspiring_bump3r

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:49 PM

yeah you re right, they will just obediently copy my key to the exact measurements, shouldn't have to specify how deep or whatever.
Didn't think of that thanks

#10 aspiring_bump3r

aspiring_bump3r

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:50 PM

But I'm planning to copy my whole set of about 8 keys, when i receive them.
should i take some to one shop , than the rest to another. Or copying the whole set at one time would be suspicious?

#11 Virgintamr

Virgintamr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:10 PM

I don't see what would be suspicious about it. There isn't any thing illegal about it and until there is you shouldn't have anything to worry about. When I get mine and make some copies, there won't be any worries on my end. The most they can do is just say no which is probably a 1 in 100 chance.

#12 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:28 PM

The most they can do is just say no which is probably a 1 in 100 chance.

If that.

There are still alot of locksmiths that dont know about bump keys. Hell, thats who made my first bump key, a lock smith. He was completely oblivious to it

#13 Schneider

Schneider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:29 AM

I did that already and nothing unusual was there. I went to my local store and get my keys copied and they did that easily but not sure that will happen to other places.
Schneider
NYC Locksmith