• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:50 PM

I don't know about all y'all but I just got done showing a buddy of mine how a bump key works and he was QUITE impressed.
I pulled the key from my pocket, inserted into his lock, gave it 4 whacks (ok... so i didn't get it on the first hit... BAH!) and his door opened right up.

He then tried for a about 5 mins... couldn't get it and gave up.

I tried telling him... 'it's all in the tension' but it didn't help... he was just whacking \ twisting away.

That's all of my story.. anyone else have similar 'impressed friend' stories?

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:56 PM

I just got back from my local Mobil station in Fall River, MA. The folks that work there routinely smoke like fiends at every opportunity they get. Even after eleven o'clock on a Monday night, things tend to be pretty busy as it's the only 24 hour venture in the area.

Through some stroke of unmistakable genius, they ended up locking themselves outside during their smoke break - right before half a dozen cars pulled up.

With about a dozen people lingering about, I popped my SC20 off my key chain, grabbed a screwdriver from my car and... the rest is history. Everyone was obviously rather impressed, and the attendant was appreciative - I got my cigarettes for free. One of the kids who was waiting to get in offered me fifty bucks for the key I used. He didn't seem the type to use such a thing in an honorable fashion, assuming he ever got down the finer points of using it at all.

My boss also forgot his keys to open up the store a few weeks ago - lock in knob and deadbolt, both Kwiksets. He was rather shocked that his store could be compromised by someone who was neither a thief nor a locksmith in under 20 seconds. :D

#3 Akina1021

Akina1021

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:21 AM

ive done basically what both of you have done... show friends and also help out... yea its fun eh haha...
I never quit.... i wanna keep improving in everything i do in life... little by little everyday... i improve my skills...

#4 Kevio

Kevio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 02:32 AM

I'll have some similar stories up soon....I've already thought of about 10 times where I could have impressed people if I would have had my keys on me.
Posted Image
Yea...I posted the 1337th article on the forum.

#5 Virgintamr

Virgintamr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:00 PM

In a way I would almost be afraid to let my boss see me using a key like that. Even though you have good intentions and are doing it for fun, they're still going to wonder why that ever came to your mind to begin with and if something ever did happen you would probably be the first person in their mind. Some people like having skills like MacGyver and some could care less. Me personally, I like to be prepared and be ready for any situation.

And now since I rambled off topic, I showed a friend at work today and he was amazed. Now he wants to learn.

Around a week ago this wasn't even a thought in my mind till I seen it on the news warning people about it. I think they did more damage than good by airing it.

#6 Kevio

Kevio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:05 PM

Around a week ago this wasn't even a thought in my mind till I seen it on the news warning people about it. I think they did more damage than good by airing it.

I feel the same way! I didn't even know about key bumping until i saw it on the news....I'm glad I saw it though.
Posted Image
Yea...I posted the 1337th article on the forum.

#7 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:07 PM

I showed some friends how I can lockpick. I never really showed them how to bump key, because its not terribly hard to do. So they'd think I'm badass until they figured it out. None of my friends are ambitious enough to learn how to lockpick

#8 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:33 PM

I showed some friends how I can lockpick. I never really showed them how to bump key, because its not terribly hard to do. So they'd think I'm badass until they figured it out. None of my friends are ambitious enough to learn how to lockpick

I think you have the right idea. Most people are completely ignorant when it comes to how locks work. Picking locks takes a reasonable amount of study to be pull off, and a LOT of practice to master. Therefore, as you point out, although everyone will still think it's cool, no one will really try to pursue it, as one assumes that it requires a guru-like knowledge of locks and their workings.

Bumping is fast and, with a few minutes practice on technique, stupid simple. People are more amazed, more interested... and it's more likely to attract those who wish to use it for irresponsible purposes.

As such, I only bump when absolutely necessary, when I've left my pick set at home, etc., and carry my bump keys mixed in with my house/car keys for discretion's sake.

#9 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:47 PM

[quote name='theopratr][quote=Kristic']I showed some friends how I can lockpick. I never really showed them how to bump key, because its not terribly hard to do. So they'd think I'm badass until they figured it out. None of my friends are ambitious enough to learn how to lockpick[/quote]

I think you have the right idea. Most people are completely ignorant when it comes to how locks work. Picking locks takes a reasonable amount of study to be pull off, and a LOT of practice to master. Therefore, as you point out, although everyone will still think it's cool, no one will really try to pursue it, as one assumes that it requires a guru-like knowledge of locks and their workings.

Bumping is fast and, with a few minutes practice on technique, stupid simple. People are more amazed, more interested... and it's more likely to attract those who wish to use it for irresponsible purposes.

As such, I only bump when absolutely necessary, when I've left my pick set at home, etc., and carry my bump keys mixed in with my house/car keys for discretion's sake.[/quote]

I dont think I have ever taken my keys out of my house. I do have a lockpick and tension wrench in my car though. Granted I never really use it, and forget its in the car 99% of the time. I did use it once when I left my work keys at home, and didnt wanna drive 20 mins home,and be late for work. So I just picked the locks, boss walked in when I was opening the office door, just kinda laughed and handed me his key.
  • LockPickIt likes this

#10 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:03 PM

I dont think I have ever taken my keys out of my house. I do have a lockpick and tension wrench in my car though. Granted I never really use it, and forget its in the car 99% of the time. I did use it once when I left my work keys at home, and didnt wanna drive 20 mins home,and be late for work. So I just picked the locks, boss walked in when I was opening the office door, just kinda laughed and handed me his key.

I made my own set of picks that are small enough to fit in my wallet, so that's where they stay. It's a handle, a feeler pick and L, C, and S rake attachments. (And double sided tension wrench, of course.) Again, discretion keeping me out of trouble. The keys I keep on my ring are rather limited as well. The SC20, KW1, AR1, WR5, DE6 and Y1; accounting for 90%+ of the locks I run into. The element of security is added by the fact that they're mixed in with about twenty other keys, so even if someone knew what to look for, they wouldn't instantly identify them. The problem is usually what to use as a hammer though... I think the weirdest thing I've ever successfully used was a three-quarters full 20 oz. bottle of Nestea.

#11 almostskater182

almostskater182

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 04:41 PM

I just got back from my local Mobil station in Fall River, MA. The folks that work there routinely smoke like fiends at every opportunity they get. Even after eleven o'clock on a Monday night, things tend to be pretty busy as it's the only 24 hour venture in the area.

Through some stroke of unmistakable genius, they ended up locking themselves outside during their smoke break - right before half a dozen cars pulled up.

With about a dozen people lingering about, I popped my SC20 off my key chain, grabbed a screwdriver from my car and... the rest is history. Everyone was obviously rather impressed, and the attendant was appreciative - I got my cigarettes for free. One of the kids who was waiting to get in offered me fifty bucks for the key I used. He didn't seem the type to use such a thing in an honorable fashion, assuming he ever got down the finer points of using it at all.

My boss also forgot his keys to open up the store a few weeks ago - lock in knob and deadbolt, both Kwiksets. He was rather shocked that his store could be compromised by someone who was neither a thief nor a locksmith in under 20 seconds. :D

hmm off topic but fall river is less than a 3 minute walk from my house.. small world.

but yeah, since im still pretty much a noob at bumping so i cant really do all that much. all i have done so far is pull a padlock out of my basement and filed the original key down to the lowest point. With luck and practice i was able to get it open with bumping, i showed one of my friends and they seems pretty impressed. i would of gotten a better reaction but it took me about 10 tries.
but then again i was only bumping with my hands.

#12 Seph965

Seph965

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:31 AM

Well even though me and my friend had seen videos of people bumping locks, we were both really impressed when we finally got our homemade Schlage SC1 bumpkey to work. But then we were disappointed when we realized we had turned the key in the wrong direction. Alas, the door was still locked... By the way, I'm new.

#13 Keyless82

Keyless82

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 01:37 PM

Well even though me and my friend had seen videos of people bumping locks, we were both really impressed when we finally got our homemade Schlage SC1 bumpkey to work. But then we were disappointed when we realized we had turned the key in the wrong direction. Alas, the door was still locked... By the way, I'm new.

it will turn and bump in the wrong direction?

#14 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:25 PM

Just as you can do with the true key for the lock... put the key in and turn it the locking direction. This individual just bumped the lock in the locking direction, thus doing little to unlock the door.

I've felt like an idiot doing that myself on several occasions. :)

#15 bumber

bumber

Post-Aholic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:07 AM

the best thing ive ever done was lock my pick set in a lock box in my friends house, then bumped his quickie than his "master" lock on his box it was great!! Oh yeah on purpose to show em'

#16 Kris

Kris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:46 PM

I never did that to impress any of my friends but I think my clients always impressed with that. While bumping locks my aim is to provide successful bumping.

Chris

#17 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 04:33 AM

As for me I was the one who was impressed when I saw a friend used a bump key in his door lock...so it made me got more interested in learning things about bump keys...I guess there are only few people who knows how to use a bump key...am I right???

#18 LockPickIt

LockPickIt

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:55 PM

I remember one time relatives were at our home and made a decision to show them about key bumping lol they look creep out af [email protected] biggrin.png

#19 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:15 AM

I remember one time relatives were at our home and made a decision to show them about key bumping lol they look creep out af [email protected] biggrin.png

They must be thinking why did you even learned that skill...hehe

#20 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 02:50 PM

They must be thinking why did you even learned that skill...hehe

Right lol.. I agree. You just made them suspicious about you lols..