How Long

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:23 AM

Hey everybody. I was just interested in how long people tried before they got their first bump to work, and whether it was a homemade key or purchased.

For instance, my first bump took me two hours with a homemade key.

I'm anxious to hear what peoples results were.

#2 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:31 AM

3 thwacks on the first lock, 3 on the next lock, 4 on the next lock. I did have one recently that took about 10 thwacks before it opened.
Bump it to the next level.

#3 Keyless82

Keyless82

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:03 PM

i don't know if i have the ''magic touch" so to speak but i did mine on my first try ever lol

#4 Virgintamr

Virgintamr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:52 AM

About ten hits for me with a home made bump key. I have some ordered but thought I would try to make my own until I receive the others.

#5 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:50 AM

gotcha, i don't remember how many thwacks (i included filing time in mine) Probably 25 thwacks with a homemade. I totally screwed up two keys trying to file them till i got it to work.

#6 Kevio

Kevio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:34 PM

That's why im taking your advice on making many copies to mess around with, heh.

#7 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:51 PM

That's why im taking your advice on making many copies to mess around with, heh.

You may want to file the bottoms of the cuts just a few thousandths more to allow for maximum pin length. I have found that it helps on all the bump keys that I have.

#8 Virgintamr

Virgintamr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:12 PM

I have yet to get the minimal movement method to work for me. I started out last night trying the pull out method and it works usually one out of every five tries. Guess I'll just stick with what works for me.

#9 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:39 PM

I have yet to get the minimal movement method to work for me. I started out last night trying the pull out method and it works usually one out of every five tries. Guess I'll just stick with what works for me.

I have a couple of keys that have been filed for minimal movement, but I made unaltered keys because pullout works best for me too.

#10 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 01:29 AM

My first key was a Kwikset, filed by hand from a blank. I took the classy way out, using a shoe as my hammer. It worked after 10-12 thwacks. Later using the handle of a screwdriver that number came down to three shots as an average, using the pull out method.

My first purchased key was an M1, which I tried to use on a Master Lock. I tried for several hours to get the piece of refuse to work. It was poorly made, and I never got it going. (At the time I didn't know of a reputable site from which to buy such things!)

Since the M1 disaster, I made my own, again filed from a blank. The more precise key, along with some information from these forums, makes success achievable in just a few seconds, under most circumstances.