15 replies to this topic

#1 LAlocksport

LAlocksport

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:22 AM

I've heard that combination locks are resistant to bump keys. Is this true?

#2 Hankerson

Hankerson

• Just Registered
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:16 AM

It's better if you create your own bump keys for combination of locks. There are many other types of lock picks besides bump keys anyway. The last type that I heard to be effective in combination locks are shims. Not sure exactly how it went afterwards because shims aren't really made of strong materials.

• LAlocksport likes this

#3 LAlocksport

LAlocksport

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:45 AM

It's better if you create your own bump keys for combination of locks. There are many other types of lock picks besides bump keys anyway. The last type that I heard to be effective in combination locks are shims. Not sure exactly how it went afterwards because shims aren't really made of strong materials.

Thanks for the advice. Who would've thought that shims can be good with this type of locks.

#4 KennethS

KennethS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:26 PM

Actually all types of locks nowadays are resistant to bump keys or so their makers claim. For combination locks, if you're talking about those that doesn't have any key holes then of course the answer is no. For those that have, if there's any, then it's as hard as any locks like padlocks.

#5 LockPickIt

LockPickIt

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

Interesting information I always thought about this and I think combination locks are the safest for sure.

#6 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:47 AM

Actually all types of locks nowadays are resistant to bump keys or so their makers claim. For combination locks, if you're talking about those that doesn't have any key holes then of course the answer is no. For those that have, if there's any, then it's as hard as any locks like padlocks.

Well you're right...if it's a combination lock without a hole like the one being used in safes, of course you can't open it using a bump key because at the first place, it doesn't require a key..just the correct combination...that means it will be a different method if you will try to open it without using the correct combination...

#7 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:48 AM

Interesting information I always thought about this and I think combination locks are the safest for sure.

It is that is why it mostly used in safes or in door locks as well...that is if you have that kind of house that has combination locks instead of locks with keyholes...

#8 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:10 PM

Aluminium shim is enough to unlatch some of these combinational locks 

#9 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:55 AM

Aluminium shim is enough to unlatch some of these combinational locks 

That's interesting...what are examples of combination locks that can be unlatched by this aluminium shims???Thanks! :)

#10 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:42 PM

That's interesting...what are examples of combination locks that can be unlatched by this aluminium shims???Thanks! smile.png

The locks you find on your suitcases, or safes , aluminium shim can be used to scratch the upper layer of the small cylinder behind the combination keys and after that its just about observing hard where the pattern of that cylinder varies, usually for the right combination you will see a small bulge on the inner cylinder, i hope i can find some video , so that i can share it with you people

#11 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:41 PM

I saw this video. This is another way of opening a combination lock. Hope this helps also

#12 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:52 AM

The video above has a very long explanation...although it works, the process is just too long and I'm too lazy to do it...

#13 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:51 PM

I've heard that combination locks are resistant to bump keys. Is this true?

combination lock without a key hole is definitely resistant to bump keys coz you cannot use key for it in the first place ;-)

#14 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:52 AM

No standards exist which demonstrate resistance to bumping, The resistance to bumping a combinational lock varies with the manufacturer, some can be bumped using aluminium shim and some can't be easily bumped by this method. 

#15 lillylockpicker

lillylockpicker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationNew York, New York

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:58 AM

No standards exist which demonstrate resistance to bumping, The resistance to bumping a combinational lock varies with the manufacturer, some can be bumped using aluminium shim and some can't be easily bumped by this method. 

I saw that video about the aluminum shim here in this forum and I think that is also a cool trick but then I agree that there would be some combination locks that can not be unlocked by an aluminum shim. well actually I'd never seen a combination lock being unlocked by an aluminum shim. just those ordinary padlocks.

#16 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:25 PM

I saw that video about the aluminum shim here in this forum and I think that is also a cool trick but then I agree that there would be some combination locks that can not be unlocked by an aluminum shim. well actually I'd never seen a combination lock being unlocked by an aluminum shim. just those ordinary padlocks.

https://www.youtube....h?v=bq3_k9Ue0ro , watch that video , you will definitely get all your answers :)