2 replies to this topic

#1 xcaliber

xcaliber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

Just wondered if anybody here has ever tried to make a bump key using a manual key cutting machine? I've tried a number of different methods, but it's quite difficult to get the pitch, profile and depth of cuts exactly right to match the pins in a lock. My machine only traces the original key, and has no real "indexing" facility.

I had thought of a few ideas, but all seem very time consuming. The obvious answer would be to create a "Template" but how could this be done?

Has anyone attempted to make any "bump" key successfully using a machine? I have a Silca dual machine.

#2 LAlocksport

LAlocksport

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

Well I've never tried to make one but there are a lot of videos on the internet. However I think it's better to buy one instead of trying to produce it by yourself.

#3 Summers

Summers

• Just Registered
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:52 AM

I find it better to just buy one instead of making them. Unless you're after a specific lock, might as well do it yourself but not with any machine but your own measurements manually. Just shape it to whatever you need. It's time consuming but if one is all you need then might as well go for it.