18 replies to this topic

#1 LAlocksport

LAlocksport

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:26 AM

I was wondering if you can make your own bump keys at home. What sort of tools and diagrams do I need? Is it even worthwhile?

#2 xcaliber

xcaliber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

I second this question, it shouldn't be impossible but it'll probably take a few tries to perfect a bump key.

I haven't followed his method so I don't know how good it is but at least it answers your question about the tools you need.

#3 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:53 AM

There are many tutorials online, this for example http://www.wikihow.com/Bump-a-Lock

However, I find that the price of bump keys is not that high, so making it at home might not be worthwhile as it takes time and needs practice to work and still might not work at all. And you know time is money.

#4 sallyshooter

sallyshooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:34 PM

Most "make your own keys" requires to buy equipment for it though. When it comes to bump keys it's no different.

• LAlocksport likes this

#5 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

Most "make your own keys" requires to buy equipment for it though. When it comes to bump keys it's no different.

Yes I totally agree, so you get to spend money on the equipment too so at the end with the money and time spent, it's much easier to just buy a bump key.

#6 xcaliber

xcaliber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

There are many tutorials online, this for example http://www.wikihow.com/Bump-a-Lock

However, I find that the price of bump keys is not that high, so making it at home might not be worthwhile as it takes time and needs practice to work and still might not work at all. And you know time is money.

And you probably end up spending more money on the tools to make your own bump key when you can buy one for less.

• redcity likes this

#7 LAlocksport

LAlocksport

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:43 AM

So we can all agree that it's better to buy one :) Except if you somehow don't own equipment for producing bump keys.

• xcaliber and redcity like this

#8 [email protected]

[email protected]

• Just Registered
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:16 PM

I did find a great article on how to make your own bump keys at home. 

http://united-locksm...our-locked-door

On part 2 of the article it explains how to make your own bump key and what you would need to make it. It list the steps in order on what you would need to do first. I would try this out first before you go and buy a bump key. cool.png

#9 LockPickIt

LockPickIt

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:57 PM

I second this question, it shouldn't be impossible but it'll probably take a few tries to perfect a bump key.

I haven't followed his method so I don't know how good it is but at least it answers your question about the tools you need.

Interesting! I think we have that tool in my garage but I'm not sure if it's working still. Gotta take a look at it. 

#10 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:48 AM

It's quite simple, all you need to do is to get any key of the model lock and then you can ask locksmith to cut the a new key with all the valleys at the deepest possible settings. In most of the cases this method works quite good and the newly made bump key can be used to unlock any lock of that model.

#11 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:47 AM

There are many video tutorials on how to make your own bump key...it does consumes time but if you are really into it then there's nothing giving it a try...if you still have to buy the tools then I would probably just buy a bump key which is cheaper than the tools...but there are also tools that you can use that you can also use for other works but if you would only buy the particular tools just for bump keys, for me it would be impractical...better buy a set then... ;)

#12 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:55 AM

There are many video tutorials on how to make your own bump key...it does consumes time but if you are really into it then there's nothing giving it a try...if you still have to buy the tools then I would probably just buy a bump key which is cheaper than the tools...but there are also tools that you can use that you can also use for other works but if you would only buy the particular tools just for bump keys, for me it would be impractical...better buy a set then... wink.png

*nothing wrong

#13 lillylockpicker

lillylockpicker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationNew York, New York

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:56 AM

What are examples of tools that can be used to make a bump key?

#14 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:02 PM

What are examples of tools that can be used to make a bump key?

I've seen some people that uses a triangular file in making a bump key...welcome to the forum anyways... ;)

#15 lillylockpicker

lillylockpicker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationNew York, New York

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:06 PM

Thanks. triangular file indeed. that method would surely give you an exercise.

#16 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:23 PM

hahaha...yes it will because it would take a lot of time before you can form valleys...

#17 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:42 PM

So we can all agree that it's better to buy one smile.png Except if you somehow don't own equipment for producing bump keys.

I agree if its just for you own use, it is definitely better to just buy one. But if you plan on making bumpkeys for a living, then spending for equipment would be fine. :-)

#18 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:45 AM

hahaha...yes it will because it would take a lot of time before you can form valleys...

And a lot of effort too with the blade you are using

#19 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:10 AM

And patience lol..