5 replies to this topic

#1 LAlocksport

LAlocksport

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

I want to know if anyone knows what's the difference between these two types of keys? Is it the way they were cut or something else?

#2 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:01 PM

Great question! 

Bump keys are keys which have only been cut to the maximum depth.  While depth keys are cut from the most shallow depth all the way down to the deepest depth.

For example:

A Schlage SC1 has 10 depths (0-9).   A depth key (set) would have one key cut from depth 0 and then keys cut to depth 1,2,3.... 9.    Whereas a Schlage SC1 bump key would only have a depth cut to a depth of 9. 

Make sense ?

• LAlocksport likes this

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#3 Reinar

Reinar

• Just Registered
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:51 AM

Cool. So which is more effective when bumping locks. Is it bump keys or depth keys? Or is it really just a matter of preference? I'm still new to this so I'm really curious when you mentioned about depth keys.

#4 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:35 AM

Well normal depth keys can be used to determine the code of a lock, it's used when the lock is disassembled so the pins are to be viewed while using them, bump keys on the other hand are used for the unique purpose of opening a lock that one does not have the key for. So it depends on the situation.

#5 LAlocksport

LAlocksport

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:00 PM

Great question! 

Bump keys are keys which have only been cut to the maximum depth.  While depth keys are cut from the most shallow depth all the way down to the deepest depth.

For example:

A Schlage SC1 has 10 depths (0-9).   A depth key (set) would have one key cut from depth 0 and then keys cut to depth 1,2,3.... 9.    Whereas a Schlage SC1 bump key would only have a depth cut to a depth of 9. 

Make sense ?

Thanks for the explanation. Now that you have explained me it sure makes sense :)

#6 Kaylee

Kaylee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:23 AM

Bump keys are keys cut to a special design that will allow them to be used for picking pin-tumbler locks.

Toronto Locksmith Available 24/7

247torontolocksmith.com