Photo
- - - - -

Using a bump key without damadging the lock is it possible?

bump key lock

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

Hello,

I am just wondering if using a bump key (just one time not repeatedly) would be harmful to the lock? Because I've read many forums and some people say they are destructive to the locks and others say that it's not harmful at all. Can anyone tell me -out of their personal experience- if it's safe for the lock to use bump keys or not?

#2 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:40 PM

It shouldn't cause damage using a bump key just once.  However...  if the springs inside the lock are old, or already damaged, damage is must more likely.  So while it's not probable, it is possible.   Hope this cleared it up for you a bit. 

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#3 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

It shouldn't cause damage using a bump key just once.  However...  if the springs inside the lock are old, or already damaged, damage is must more likely.  So while it's not probable, it is possible.   Hope this cleared it up for you a bit.

Aha I see, but certainly using it multiple times would cause harm to the lock, right? Thanks Admin for the immediate help.

#4 LAlocksport

LAlocksport

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:00 PM

It also depends on how crafty the user of the bump key is. Anyway if you are calm and careful, the lock won't be damaged.

• Customer Support likes this

#5 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

Aha I see, but certainly using it multiple times would cause harm to the lock, right? Thanks Admin for the immediate help.

"Certainly"  Nope...  It's not 100% of the time going to cause harm.  We have locks in the shop here which have been bumped hundreds, if not thousands of times, and still function wonderfully.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#6 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:37 PM

Right.. I agree. based on what I have read, It's not that damaging to the lock. Unless your going to practice to that lock all the time.

#7 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:38 PM

I suggest, if you're going to practice bump keying,  you better use an old locks. :-)

#8 LockPickIt

LockPickIt

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 12:03 AM

I suggest, if you're going to practice bump keying,  you better use an old locks. :-)

Yeah he can buy an old locks from a local shop like what I usually do. less cost just in case you messed it up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bump key, lock