• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bumpinlegand

bumpinlegand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:28 PM

does any one else notice that the quickset keys (copys i made from the original) break in the last valley after about 10 to 35 bumps. maybe its cause i hit the top angle of the head. i just have never had any luck bumping them from square on the back.

#2 Akina1021

Akina1021

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:58 AM

ha thats nothing, try bumping so much the shoulder breaks off LOL... now THATS alot of bumping...
I never quit.... i wanna keep improving in everything i do in life... little by little everyday... i improve my skills...

#3 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 06:23 AM

Sounds like someone needs to lighten up a bit on the thwack! I have probably made half a dozen KW1 bump keys but have never damaged or broken one. I just misplace them and make a new one. I know that at least 5 of them are in my van somewhere. I really need to clean my van out. Wonder what else is in there? Probably a couple of french fries...

THWACKOLOGY: the study of and perfecting of hitting a bump key with any object that serves as a bump hammer for the sole purpose of compromising a lock with out a key made for that specific lock and without picking that lock.

FINESSE, NOT FORCE was the mantra of my locksmith teacher. If you break it, you probably used too much force. Finesse is the fine art of figuring out why it is not working, what needs to be done differently, formulating a plan to accomplish the goal without damaging the product and executing that plan. A locksmith's goal is to get the job done and not leave evidence that he/she was there.

{Steps off of his soap box and gets another cup of coffee}
Bump it to the next level.

#4 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 02:36 PM

Sounds like someone needs to lighten up a bit on the thwack! I have probably made half a dozen KW1 bump keys but have never damaged or broken one. I just misplace them and make a new one. I know that at least 5 of them are in my van somewhere. I really need to clean my van out. Wonder what else is in there? Probably a couple of french fries...

THWACKOLOGY: the study of and perfecting of hitting a bump key with any object that serves as a bump hammer for the sole purpose of compromising a lock with out a key made for that specific lock and without picking that lock.

FINESSE, NOT FORCE was the mantra of my locksmith teacher. If you break it, you probably used too much force. Finesse is the fine art of figuring out why it is not working, what needs to be done differently, formulating a plan to accomplish the goal without damaging the product and executing that plan. A locksmith's goal is to get the job done and not leave evidence that he/she was there.

{Steps off of his soap box and gets another cup of coffee}

Agreed. I havent broke a key yet. You probably need to settle down on the hitting aspect

#5 MrLocks

MrLocks

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:14 AM

does any one else notice that the quickset keys (copys i made from the original) break in the last valley after about 10 to 35 bumps. maybe its cause i hit the top angle of the head. i just have never had any luck bumping them from square on the back.

It happened with me once six month back. It mostly happens when applying more force than needed.
Sandy