• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 bumpinlegand

bumpinlegand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:52 AM

is the pull out method very effective, and how do you do it. i actually prefer the bump method because i am getting really good at it. but i would like to know some other methods though.. thanks for any advice i can get...

#2 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:06 PM

The pull out method is just how it sounds, you pull the key out (one pin/ "click") and then bump as you would with the minimal movement method, tension and all.

This method does not require any filing, which some people enjoy.

Whether or not it is effective is up for you to decide. Some people like it better, some dont. I would guess that the majority of the people in this forum use the minimal movement method.

#3 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:49 PM

I like the not filed look and the key works just fine.
Bump it to the next level.

#4 bumpinlegand

bumpinlegand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:08 PM

so what is the minimal movement method. isnt that the key being pulled out one pin and bumping.

#5 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:11 PM

so what is the minimal movement method. isnt that the key being pulled out one pin and bumping.

actually, that is when the tip and shoulder are filed and the key is inserted to the normal depth and then bumped and turned.

#6 bumpinlegand

bumpinlegand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:19 PM

i filed mine down and pull it out one pin and then bump. but what do you mean normal depth?

#7 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:13 PM

i filed mine down and pull it out one pin and then bump. but what do you mean normal depth?

don't pull it out 1 pin. there should be a gap between the plug and the shoulder of the key. since the tip has been filed also, this allows minimal movement of the key when bumped. It happens that this is just enough to bump the bottom pins with the peaks of the key blade. When the bottom pins jump, the top pins are rocketed above the shearline and the key and plug are able to turn and open the lock...or for the concerned thief, the lock can be relocked after the house has been completely emptied.

#8 bentpick

bentpick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:58 PM

you can still get pregnant with this method.

#9 Joe42

Joe42

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:39 PM

I've been trying to bump a Popular Mechanics Master clone M1 for a good 6 hours now. My fingers hurt like hell from hours of pressure and impact, and from the threads of a bolt I switched to, to avoid hitting my sore fingers. My hammer is a rubber cork on the end of a hacksaw blade.

This lock hasn't opened once. I even put some graphite in it and worked the original key in and out, turning several times to ensure smooth operation of the lock.

I've tried minimal movement, and pull out 1, 2 and 3 clicks, and this "tough guy" method. Nothing works. I can pick this lock in seconds, so I know it's not a secure lock.

Only a few times, I've heard pins release when I let off the key, so I'm thinking there's some very, very stiff springs in this thing.

Any ideas?

#10 Joe42

Joe42

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:32 PM

Sorry to double post. Gave up on the PopMechanics lock and switched to an old Milwaukee Magnum #763 M1 clone. Had to use a load of graphite and work the key in it quite a bit to get it working again, even had to lube the hasp just so it would move in and out of the lock body.

After a few minutes of getting the parts moving again, I successfully bumped it about 6/12 tries with the 1-click pullout method!!

And just when I thought I had already destroyed a new key.

I've dented the face of the PopMechanics lock to the point where even the original key has to be pulled back a bit to turn it, and I managed to mushroom the shoulder of this cheap Walmart M1 bumpkey in just one night.

#11 sniper101

sniper101

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:06 AM

wal-mart's keys are really cheap and crappy. I made copies once there before, and the shoulders mushroomed in a day or two, and not too long after the key bent to a point where i couldnt use it anymore. When i copy my keys now, i go to Home Depot, and they keys are significantly better. And Nice job, bumping the padlock.

#12 kespup

kespup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:15 AM

I wanted to try filing a key. So I took my bumpkey.us SC1 and SC4 to Home Depot. I knew they knew nothing about keys and the clerk proved it. He used the same blank for both keys. The five pin cut was OK and the six pin cut was cut for five and a fraction of a pin. Had this been a real key I would be returning it as it would not work.

Anyway I had two copies of each key made to play with. I used a copy of the SC1 in one of my locks and it opened on the first bump. However the key got bent and I was able to snap it off with just my fingers.

Point is your better of buying extra keys from bumpkey.us as they are a high quality key. Home Depot only charged me $1.43 for a key and you use it once and then you better throw it away.

#13 Joe42

Joe42

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:30 AM

After my quest to get my set copied yesterday, I quickly realized that Ilco keys are top shelf. Too bad I had already gotten the bulk of my keys copied at Walmart.

What about Cole blanks, are they any good? I see many pictures of Cole bumpkeys around here.

#14 ucantstopthis1

ucantstopthis1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:01 PM

I've been to Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-mart & Menard's, they all use the same cheap Axxes Keys. I had to go to a ACE hardware to get a hard key blank. (simular to Ilco Blanks) Avoid the cheap Axes Keys they are soft...
You can pick your friends. You can pick your nose. But you cant pick your friends nose. :eek:

#15 PhreeX

PhreeX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:55 AM

I've been to Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-mart & Menard's, they all use the same cheap Axxes Keys. I had to go to a ACE hardware to get a hard key blank. (simular to Ilco Blanks) Avoid the cheap Axes Keys they are soft...

I ONLY go to ACE and all their blanks are either Ilco or an equally as good brand (when I got a number of my bumpkey.us keys copied the copies were made on the EXACT SAME brand of blanks ...)

But yes, Wal-Mart SUCKS as they use such cheap keys (probably as so many people get keys made there that they will do anything to maximize profits, and of course your normal customer isn't going to be whacking their house key with an impact device as they apply torque ...)

//p

#16 WOT

WOT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:44 PM

On the positive side, keys that cave away are better on locks. If the steeples aren't caving away, your pins are.

#17 bumpr

bumpr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:00 AM

I got my first bumpkey a kw1 pull out. After 10 min i could bump my front and back door locks open roughly 9 out of 10 tries. Havent tried any neighbors yet. (j/k) Why do they sell pull-out keys here. If the minimum movement keys bump just as good but are slightly simpler/faster because of only 1 step instead of 2, why dont they sell those? Also is the kw1 considered one of the easiest locks to bump?.

Edited by bumpr, 29 October 2008 - 09:07 AM.

#18 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:47 AM

I got my first bumpkey a kw1 pull out. After 10 min i could bump my front and back door locks open roughly 9 out of 10 tries. Havent tried any neighbors yet. (j/k) Why do they sell pull-out keys here. If the minimum movement keys bump just as good but are slightly simpler/faster because of only 1 step instead of 2, why dont they sell those? Also is the kw1 considered one of the easiest locks to bump?.

Congrats on your first bump! I know it's a good feeling when the lock finally bump open.

The pull out keys are simply the preferred choice of our customers.

It's really a crap-shoot regarding which is the easiest. It really all depends on the person, the lock, and the key. I've got to say the easiest lock i've encountered is the DE6.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#19 fiefockeplece

fiefockeplece

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:58 AM

You dont need to beef up anything, I pull mine with an 80 cu in, well its not all stock but... Shouldnt have a problem with pullin a trailer, I think Miss baggers dresses out at around 500 lbs max.

#20 xcaliber

xcaliber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

Which one is the easiest to learn?