• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Xover

Xover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:36 PM

Okay so i have 4 depth keys that fit into the keyhole of the lock on the side of the house. How do i know which key i should file down? If i file down all of them and i find out that the last key i filed was in fact the right bump key, will the other keys work for there resignated lock? ex the side house lock was a weiser, i filed down a kwickset so that i could get the spring motion but never was able to, would the kwick still work on a kwick lock or is it possible that because i tryed to use a kwick on a weiser that i filed it down to much on the shoulder and/or tip of the key that it will now not work on a kwick?

#2 Zim

Zim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 07:13 PM

Your post is a bit confusing about exactly what you want to do but, if you have a depth key that fits the wards on the cylinder than you use the deepest cut.

Unless you don't have depth keys and all you have are 4 keys that fir the ward, in that case, same principle applies after you file them. I wouldn't be filing down your original depth keys unless you have a copy made.

Hope that helps

#3 Xover

Xover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 01:44 PM

sry for the confusion. Mainly cuz i was confused myself and was just ramblin on an on. Okay so heres what i mean. I have 4 depth keys filed down to there lowest cut of course and all 4 keys fit into the lock on the side of my house. How do i know which key will work or not? ex lets say my original key is a weiser and i didnt know that. Lets say i have i have both kwick and weiser depth keys. Will the kwick work on the weiser and if not will i end up filing of too much to try to get the kwick to work on the weiser?

#4 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 03:49 PM

its best just to figure out what lock you have..... and use a key for that lock to make a bump key. Different keys COULD work for different locks, but you never know which would. (unless someone else knows)

#5 ChicagoLocks

ChicagoLocks

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:36 AM

That's true different key work for different locks. Correct combination will work best for you.
Sandy