• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jpcrazylegs

Jpcrazylegs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:40 PM

Hey, I first started bumping with my handmade key.

The handmade key has the tip and shoulder filed down.

I can get it to open my deadbolt almost every single time with the one click pullout method, but have trouble re-locking it with the bumpkey.

So I ordered a machine cut set. These keys do NOT have the tips and shoulders filed. On the forums I read about how you can bump the lock without the tip and shoulder filed. It is indeed true, but for some reason, the machine cut key is not as successful as bumping the lock with the one click pullout method. I can only bump it maybe 1/15 times compared to 1/2 times with the handmade.

Can anyone clarify if the one click pullout method works better when the tip and shoulder are filed? People say its not neccesary to bump the lock which is true, but my handfiled key with the tip and shoulder shaved seem to work BETTER.

Posted Image

#2 Akina1021

Akina1021

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:10 AM

ok this one is worth answering... finally a post that people arent saying OMG WHY ARENT MY KEYS WORKING :evil:

whether its handmade or machine cut... the important thing is that the depth is at its lowest. and the "/\" parts of the keys can at least HIT the bottom pin(im refering to this picture: http://deviating.net....12-wiggle.html)

ok now that picture can also explain why filing down the shoulder and tip is fairly better than the pull out method (in my opinion actually). as u can see from the pic, the extra pushing room is only able to be accomplished if u have filed down the tip and shoulder... therefore more likely your key will actually be working... because if you push ur key all the way in and it "springs back out" you know its decent enough to use...

after that... play around and test with different tensions... factor in what you are hitting with... and bam you are now able to bump key 90% of the time...

i hope this was somewhat understandable.. haha...

EDIT EDIT: ok nevermind this WAS another post that was about OMG why arent my keys working.. lol... but hey it had a good question afterwards :wink: :P
I never quit.... i wanna keep improving in everything i do in life... little by little everyday... i improve my skills...

#3 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:39 AM

generally, people use the minimal movement method (which is the reason for the filing) With the minimal movement method, you dont pull the key out one pin (click). You rely solely on the .5 mm you shaved off the tip and shoulder to pop up the pins. If you are doing the pull out method, it shouldnt matter whether you have the shoulder/tip filed at all.
I would suggest trying the minimal movement method, i think it works better and i think alot of people on this forum would agree with me.

(make sure to make copys of your purchased keys and file those down, so you dont end up ruining your only copy)

#4 Jpcrazylegs

Jpcrazylegs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:31 AM

So technically, using the one click pull out method with the shoulder and tip shaved, increases the chance of the pins being bumped up even more. I think because when I hit it, it travels farther into the lock then a non shaved key when you apply enough force. So technically I am combining the minimal movement method with the one click pull out. The pins jump from the key being out one click, then evenmore so as it travels that extra .5mm into the lock all in one motion. I will shave my machine cut key and see if the one click pullout works better.

#5 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:36 PM

make a copy first

#6 Akina1021

Akina1021

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:47 PM

yea i 2nd that... i forgot to say make a copy or copIES of them first..
I never quit.... i wanna keep improving in everything i do in life... little by little everyday... i improve my skills...

#7 Martin

Martin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:34 AM

I never used machine cut and all my handmade keys bump successfully. I think it doesn't make any difference whether handmade or machine cut. I think shoulder and tip should be filed in one click pull out method.