• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 corkywagz

corkywagz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:00 PM

I have a master lock to practice on and I made the bump key. I just cant seem to get it to work.

I also went out and got a Kwikset lock and it worked fine. It seems like this master lock just doesnt want to let me pop it. Any ideas?

-Corey

#2 bentpick

bentpick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:51 PM

Unlike a kwikset lock, a master padlock requires heavy tension. I hope this helps.

#3 corkywagz

corkywagz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 12:39 AM

still cant get it to go. The schalge lock isnt working for me either. The kwickset is a joke now its so easy. Grrr...

#4 bentpick

bentpick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 09:21 AM

The Schlage lock (the key in knob type) needs very light tension, less than the kwikset. The Master lock is definitely a little trickier to open-I use the method where I pull the key out one notch as opposed to the minimal movement method. It requires heavy tension and a nice crisp whack with the hammer. Also, I use a flexible bump hammer. Good luck!

#5 corkywagz

corkywagz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:13 PM

so I got the master lock today. Once I had the tip of pulling the key out a little to start it worked perfectly. Now I just need to get this schalge lock. Thanks for the advice.

I am going to try and get the schlage done by the advice I got earlier. anyone else know and hints or tips?

#6 bentpick

bentpick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:42 PM

Just remember, with the Schlage lock the amount of tension is very very light, much lighter than the kwikset... almost nonexistent.
Good luck!

#7 str1ker

str1ker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:01 PM

I have my M1 master lock bumpkey. I havent modified it all because it seems from these postings that I dont have to. I can use the pull method.

Im putting in the key, pulling back a notch, applying tension while hitting it. No go.

Any suggestions? Im testing with a brand new master-pad lock. Could the lock just be too stiff?

Thanks.

#8 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:44 PM

I was just playing with my master locks earlier. Using the pull out method for the master lock works best for me (however, for everything else i use the minimal method). I would just say.....keep practicing. It is a careful balance between tension and force of the hit.

The keys could be faulty, but chances are you just need to find the sweet spot

#9 str1ker

str1ker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 09:15 PM

Do i need to be using something like a level in the key-ring hole to apply heavy tension?

Thanks

#10 naturallite7

naturallite7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 01:24 AM

I have never been able to bump a master lock yet. I try alot, I can pick most of them. We use master locks at work for our lock out tag out locks. I can get lots of pratice with different locks. I have several master bump keys to try. I use the bought one and made copies on my copier. I modify the tip and shoulder. I have three different bump hammers I have bought. Just not sure what I am doing so wrong. Pratice makes perfect. I will keep praticing.

#11 warwagon

warwagon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:07 PM

I'm surprised at how easy a Master goes.

Pull out one notch.
Firm pressure with my thumb.
A very firm wac on it with a thick wooden spoon and hope I don't hit my thumb.
Man that hurts.

I know, I know.
I will get a hammer.

#12 Akina1021

Akina1021

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:22 AM

i have a hammer and i still sometimes hit myself ok lol...[/center]
I never quit.... i wanna keep improving in everything i do in life... little by little everyday... i improve my skills...

#13 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:10 AM

i have a hammer and i still sometimes hit myself ok lol...[/center]

Has anyone else pinched there fingertip inbetween the key and the lock? I've done it twice now, unpleasant

#14 chriszf13

chriszf13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:13 PM

Hi,

I noticed everyone says 'firm' and 'heavy tension', but for those of us with no experience, can you give us a some sort of a reference for what that means? I'm sort of pressing hard, but I have no idea what I'm aiming for. On that note, does anyone live in the SF east bay who can show me in person? :D

#15 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:18 AM

Dude, the tension is what you cannot explain. Some locks it is like just touching your finger to the key, others it is like pushing an elevator button. The tension is the hardest part, and it is the part you just gotta feel out.

There is some information in the forum comparing schlage quikset and master, so search and you should be able to find it.

#16 Guest_tamie341_*

Guest_tamie341_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:32 PM

For master locks i just hit it with the palm of my hand and it seems to work well. that way i don't worry about smashing my fingers in.

#17 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:52 PM

For master locks i just hit it with the palm of my hand and it seems to work well. that way i don't worry about smashing my fingers in.

I usually have bad success hitting a master lock with my hands... too much force is required.
I have, however, had good success using my palm\fingers on a KW1.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.