• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kutibah

kutibah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:44 PM

Unfortunately, I bought some bump keys on eBay before seeing this site. Now that I read more clearly, I realize that these are depth keys and I was mislead into thinking they were bump keys. Here's an image from the auction:

Posted Image

Are these NOT bump keys? Or is simply filing the shoulder all it needs?

By the way, I asked the seller, and he says that no filing is required to use them as bump keys? Thanks for the help.

#2 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:54 PM

The only thing you need to do is file down the tip and the shoulder. Bump keys are illegal to sell on eBay, but Depth keys (essentially the same thing) are still allowed. So enjoy, and welcome to the world of bump keying

#3 kutibah

kutibah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:36 PM

Ok thanks for the clear up. What's confusing me, is that he tells me that if you pull the key out 1 click, that you can bump it and it will work without filing the shoulder. Is this true?

#4 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:01 PM

Ok thanks for the clear up. What's confusing me, is that he tells me that if you pull the key out 1 click, that you can bump it and it will work without filing the shoulder. Is this true?

True - Yes
Is it easier? No. It actually has more of a success rate if you file it down

#5 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:10 PM

and all of this information is already located in the forum.....

look around

#6 kutibah

kutibah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:15 PM

Ok, got my keys today. I've been practicing all afternoon. I don't have a metal filer laying around, so I've been trying without filing them until I buy a filer tomorrow. So far no luck, but I've got hope :)

#7 kutibah

kutibah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 03:09 PM

Ok, I filed down all 10 keys like shown. I've put up 2 pics of my M1 key and Kwikset key which are the ones I am trying.

Are they fine? I've only had a little time to try them and no luck still. I've ordered a BE-H2 Bump Hammer and I will try that when I get it next week. I just need to practice until then and hopefully will be successful without it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 bentpick

bentpick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:27 PM

Your keys look great. A bump hammer will definitely help and add to your consistency. Tension is where most people fail when it comes to successfully bumping a lock. A kwikset lock requires light tension, and I have found that the master lock requires rather heavy tension. Always start with very light tension, just barely resting your finger on the key or tension wrench. I slip the bottom of a tension wrench through the hole of the key and use the wrench to give tension... I find that this technique is more accurate, more repeatable and easier on the fingers. When I've bumped a Schlage lock I use super light tension, a little more for a kwikset and very heavy tension when bumping a master lock. Good luck!

#9 kutibah

kutibah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:37 PM

Ok, I got my KEH-2 Bump Hammer today. I tried it like 20 times on the kwikset and was a bit disappointed.

So I go upstairs and try it on the Masterlock. On the 3rd try it actually opened! I've practiced some more on the Masterlock, and now I can do it 1 in 2 tries. It really helps!

So I then went back down to try on the kwikset. After 15 more tries, it worked on the kwikset! However, I only once got it to work on the kwikset. I've bumped the kwikset like 50 more times, and I still couldn't open it. I'm very hopeful because it did open once. Any suggestions? I've tried it with my fingers giving light tension and with the tension tool. The time I opened it, I was using just my finger. However, I can't seem to replicate that tension.

#10 bentpick

bentpick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:08 PM

Try bumping the lock in the opposite direction. Some locks will bump and pick easier if you rotate the cylinder in a certain direction...counter clockwise or clockwise. Since 'light' is a relative term, I'll restate that light means barely rotating at all. Also, if you bump the lock one direction vs. another, it may rotate, but not open the lock...thereby needing a plug spinner...good luck!!

#11 MrLocks

MrLocks

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:57 AM

Your keys look great. A bump hammer will definitely help and add to your consistency. Tension is where most people fail when it comes to successfully bumping a lock. A kwikset lock requires light tension, and I have found that the master lock requires rather heavy tension. Always start with very light tension, just barely resting your finger on the key or tension wrench. I slip the bottom of a tension wrench through the hole of the key and use the wrench to give tension... I find that this technique is more accurate, more repeatable and easier on the fingers. When I've bumped a Schlage lock I use super light tension, a little more for a kwikset and very heavy tension when bumping a master lock. Good luck!

Great suggestion, I also did a same think with a bump hammer and yep that's true that tension plays an important in bumping. the more you practice the more you learn well.
Sandy