• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 schwza

schwza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:20 PM

there is a lot of information here about filing a key down. is it possible to buy a key that's already totally ready to go? i don't have a lot of faith in myself to file accurately.

i'd like to try one of the two locks in my house. the first is a sargent, and it looks pretty old. the other is a schlage, which is pretty new. which do you think would be easier? also, do you have to buy a bump key that corresponds with a particular manufacturer of locks?

thanks.

#2 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:26 PM

Someone could sell keys that are already filed, but it illegal to mail them (through most systems) so people generally dont. For instance lockpicks.com sells a set of keys that are ready to go, but to ship them they need proof that you are a locksmith. If you are not a locksmith, which i assume you arn't (like most here) you will probably not be able to purchase prefiled keys online.

You will need different bump keys for most locks. Like kwikset keys for kwikset locks and so on. Some keys will work for multiple locks, but you only know by trying.

Your schlage will be easier because it is newer. Older locks can be gummed up, or have more imperfections than a newer.

Hope it helps

#3 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:56 PM

Yeah... what he said above... 100% ^^

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#4 Subduedracer

Subduedracer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:20 PM

I got mine from lockpicks. I do bank foreclosures and just had to give verification that I was who I said I was. They have some great stuff. i also have some keys from bumpkey.us. They got them out quick. I was able to modify them to be bump keys. I wish they had the hammers on their site.

#5 Jasonb61

Jasonb61

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:02 PM

Does Bumpkey.us not sell finished bump keys?

Ex:
http://www.bumpkey.u...4-Pin-p-28.html

Or is that not a finished key?

#6 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:04 PM

Does Bumpkey.us not sell finished bump keys?

Ex:
http://www.bumpkey.u...4-Pin-p-28.html

Or is that not a finished key?

Yes, this is a 'finished' bump key and will work with locks that use the M1 padlock.. the most popular padlock key available.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.