• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#161 ArchsageVal

ArchsageVal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:32 AM

Hi, I received my kwikset (1176 kw1) key from bumpkey.us and have tried to bump with it. Unfortunately, it only worked one time and that was when I hit the lock 5000 times out of frustration...

Any tips on noobie bumping?
(I've watched all the videos)

quick edit: Tried on my 2 garage locks and i can do it 1/10 times :)
my front door lock is crazy hard to bump, so i feel safe..ill keep at it
this is like a hobby :smoker:

still would care for some tips

#162 scott6003

scott6003

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:56 AM

did you file the key?

if not, then just
pull out one click.
apply a little bit of pressure to the key
hit the key while applying pressure.

*Question* What are you using to bump the key with.

#163 ArchsageVal

ArchsageVal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:54 PM

I'm using an old wooden screwdriver
I can't seem to open my kwikset door lock
how much do you pull out?
what is the best amount of pressure? which direction?
it's pretty frustrating :furious3:
im pretty sure im doing something wrong

yes i filed my kw1

#164 scott6003

scott6003

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:36 PM

you might have filed to much off.

Also, I have noticed that using the back of screw driver, isn't the "best" thing to use.

If I were you I would take a piece of wood

about 9 inches long and about 3/4 inches tall and about 1 3/4 inches wide.

put duck tape around one and and use it to bump with.

It works just like a "bump hammer".

A hammer is to round and skinny.

If you have a bigger surface it will work ALOT better.

Hope this helps.

Maybe take a picture or a video of the lock and key.

#165 ArchsageVal

ArchsageVal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:35 PM

Yea i ordered multiple keys because i r noobie :)

I'm making the new hammer right now... how much tape should i use?

heres some pix:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

theres 3 keys, the original, the filed one, and the fresh one form bumpkey.us (unfiled)

then theres one of these:

Posted Image

#166 ArchsageVal

ArchsageVal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:36 PM

and these:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#167 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:16 PM

First, great posts!!

I'm gonna go ahead and merge this with our official 'help me!' thread as it contains some of the same info. I know it's a big thread... but it's nice to have all the info in semi one place.

There's also a picture HERE that shows you different areas to actually hit the key. I've found that some locks open better when struck from different angles. This is something to keep in mind while bumping.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#168 scott6003

scott6003

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:04 AM

by any chance do you have a key that hasen't been filed yet?

if you do try the one click pullout pethod.

if should then work.

Also to reply to your hammer question. wrap it around 2 or 3 times, because when using wood it is gona get messed up. With the tape though it will make it last longer.

Reply if you need anymore help.

#169 ArchsageVal

ArchsageVal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:20 PM

thanks for all the recommendations :biggrin:
ya i use un-filed ones
goona try it out my new wooden+duct tape ghettohammer today!

#170 Roman

Roman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 01:18 AM

check out my "first post" in bump key chat and look at my "hammer"... it's made of an old belt and buckle, with added weight and the leather makes for a workable, durable bumping surface. A bit soft, but it's served me. That and it fits in a pocket easily.

#171 M=C

M=C

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:40 AM

I just figured out how to bump a few hours ago, and I can get it to work 3/5 times, but only in to the right. Is there a difference in difficulty as to which way you're turning a key?

#172 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:28 AM

I just figured out how to bump a few hours ago, and I can get it to work 3/5 times, but only in to the right. Is there a difference in difficulty as to which way you're turning a key?

Practice, practice, practice. Although some locks just seem to bump/pick to the locked position easier than to the unlocked position. But practice does help.
Bump it to the next level.

#173 keepitacrime

keepitacrime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:38 PM

Do you have to apply torque to the key before you hit it? like a torque wrench for picking or do you have to turn it at the exact time you hit it?

#174 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:28 PM

You apply even, light torque throughout the process. Make sure not to apply more pressure suddenly as you hit it; it's a natural reaction and is the thing that is most likely to cause your bump to fail.

#175 keepitacrime

keepitacrime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:47 PM

I havent been able to get it to work yet, do i have to pull the key out once a little till it clicks or do i pull it out just a little so that i can feel it rubbing the pins. Also are schlage locks difficult to bump, not a brand new one maybe one 10-15 years old? and if you look at a bump key by the original key should the bump key be longer or shorter than the original key or same size?

#176 gillywayz

gillywayz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:52 PM

Hi all, I bought this key from fleabay to bump master locks, and I've been trying on a master one lock with the pull out method, any advice on tention/torque? does this key even look "good"?

Attached Files

#177 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:29 PM

Hi all, I bought this key from fleabay to bump master locks, and I've been trying on a master one lock with the pull out method, any advice on tention/torque? does this key even look "good"?

IMHO, it's cut a bit too high. Master locks using the M1, I find, work best pulled out two pins with moderate tension. If in doubt, buy one from bumpkey.us.

#178 keycontrol

keycontrol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:32 AM

so rope: are you now good with the bumping. I am new guy. tried 50 times got it one time " by mistake. It was a thrill but now still trying to learn the touch. will have questions later. thanks

Heya, thanks for the big reply theopratr. Finally some good news from me...i've successfully bumped many times now :D - however, I've only bumped using Masterlock (I got a masterlock key). I haven't been able to try much masterlock bumping in the past as I don't have one of my own, there was one I could walk to but i'm sure people would get real suspicious if they saw me trying to bump it :P - So before I only had been able to try bumping a masterlock about 30 times. Now I have one of my own and it didn't take me long to get my first bump, and now i can do it about 1 out of 5 times.

I was really hoping I could translate my newly aquired skill for use on my Kwikset locks. Unfortunately, it didn't carry over. Still feel like i'm not even getting close to bumping any of my kwikset locks (using my kwikset bump keys). So I think there still might be some incompatibility with these kwikset bump keys and my kwikset locks, it just doesn't feel right when trying to bump. I've tried 95% of all my bumping on my own home kwikset locks with no luck at all. So i'm still kinda clueless there. At least I can bump masterlocks now with not much trouble.

I'll try and get more pics up when I can, I'm kinda having computer troubles now, and I don't even have my Digi camera with me...it's not the best camera anyways for closeups.

#179 skip 2 my lou

skip 2 my lou

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:32 AM

That key looks perfect. Master locks are so easy. I'll get a pic of my "ugly key" up in about a week. When you see the "ugly key" you will see how easy it is.
Bump first and ask questions later.

#180 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 06:23 PM

While your key may be ugly, it's still got to be cut deep enough and have peaks of the correct slope. ;)

A key simply looking good doesn't guarantee that it works!