• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#81 C0wT1pp3r

C0wT1pp3r

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:14 AM

if i were you i'd just keep watching videos on bumping to make sure im doing it right. then i'd read about how regular bumpers do their stuff.

#82 C0wT1pp3r

C0wT1pp3r

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 02:20 PM

how much pressure would you say a schlage lock would need to turn? i've gotten it a couple times but im concentrating just on hitting upward that i forget how much pressure im putting on the key.

#83 linuxphreak

linuxphreak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:34 PM

After success bumping my weiser deadbolt on the garage entry door I decided to try the kwikset on my security screen to the front door---it's being tough. I compared bump key to original and the kw1 5 pin is the match . I tried the original ones I bought from this site as well as the hardware store copies. In looking at the original key it has very few low points and certainly no deep 9 cuts . When I tap it in and it releases after the failed attempts I can hear the pins releasing --so apparently I'm close but missing perhaps one pin. Light to medium pressure applied . Sprayed a shot of silicone into the lock--no help there . Using the pullout method with unmodified keys. Chalk it off to a resistant lock? it's a few months old.

#84 ropeadope

ropeadope

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:33 AM

Still having no luck on my kwikset locks after all this time...I think that one time i thought I bumped it, i probably didn't, or it was just a fluke. I kinda gave up on bumping. I haven't bumped in 2 or 3 weeks. Even though I was successful at it with some locks, I could never bump any of the kwikset locks that I wanted to bump. I bumped 3 different masterlocks, and a store bought kwikset lock (identical to mine, was super easy to bump btw). Just can't bump any of the locks that I originally wanted to bump. I'll probably never know why I can't bump them...3 different kwikset locks, 2 the same and one different. They must just have odd patterns that makes the locks unbumpable. The graphite powder was kind of a mess. It either doesn't do anything, or spews graphite everywhere except the lock. I think I might try some WD40, even though theres a chance of corrosion. Anything else I can use other than graphite and WD40?

Also, I still haven't bumped any locks that were already installed in a door. I doubt that has anything to do with it though. I would of at least bumped one of them out of the 2000 attempts.

#85 wickid187

wickid187

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:09 PM

Hey everyone,

I purchased the 11 set of keys from here, went to Home Depot and made some copies of the KW1, attempted filing one of the keys down as instructed in the forum and have unsuccessfully been trying to bump my Kwickset locks around the house. As I read more on the forums, I decided to stop messing with my door locks and bought a new Kwickset lock to play with at home. Looking at the key that came with the lock, I am almost certain I should be using a KW1 bumpkey as the keys are identical in length. I must have tried at least 100 times a day over the past few days with no success. I know practise makes perfect, but if I am not getting anywhere in my practise bumps, I won't ever get anywhere. I have tried using the handle of a bread knife, a screw driver, and a hammer to hit the key with. I have tried hitting the key at different angles and with different force...I have tried little pressure, ranging to a lot of pressure with no luck.

Can anyone please offer some sort of assistance. I understand that the Kwikset locks require little pressure; however, I am not sure what "little" really means. Also does the pressure need to be applied prior to hitting the key, or is timing the hit and pressure the key to bumping? I believe I may be getting some of the pins to jump into possition, as when I release the pressure on the key, I can hear noise from within the lock.

I'd really like to learn how to consistantly bump my locks but am starting to get a little dicouraged. Any advice you can offer would be appeciated. Also, any idea on the time frame of getting a bumpkey.us video on the KW1 would be great to hear as well.

#86 Joe42

Joe42

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:25 AM

Instead of using graphite, which does work well if you can get it in the lock, try some dry teflon powder. Just don't breathe the stuff in, it's poisonous inside the body.

#87 sniper101

sniper101

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:26 AM

I think this video will help you to actually realize just how little tension you actually need to apply: this helps, because its a reallly good example of the required tension.
P.s if the link doesnt work go to www.youtube.com, and search "lock bump with a feather", that is the exact title of it.

#88 kespup

kespup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:22 AM

Lock bump with a feather Video using the pull out method shows a very interesting homemade bump hammer.

#89 sniper101

sniper101

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:50 AM

That hammer is the one sold on UKbumpkeys. Although it does look homemade.

#90 kespup

kespup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:53 PM

That's very interesting it had me fooled. A Flexor hammer for only £15 about $29.17 as I write.

#91 Joe42

Joe42

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:45 PM

I'm finding Kwikset locks to be a pain as well. Every lock I have is a KW1, except the newest, which is a KW10, but it's keyed to match the other locks.
Unfortunately, I don't have any other brand to practice with except various padlocks.

Not even graphite is helping.

Haven't been able to get any practice locks, as the yard sales haven't started yet.

So why do Kwiksets seem to be very difficult to bump for many of us?

#92 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:28 PM

I find that most people are simply hitting the lock too hard and/or applying too much tension. The majority of Kwiksets require nothing more than a feather touch and a tap.

#93 wickid187

wickid187

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:33 PM

I was finally able to bump my practise Kwikset lock...and have gotten pretty consistant with it. I think I was hitting the key to lightly...as when I started to strike it much harder and apply light presure, it would turn almost every time. I am also finding much more success by pulling the key out two clicks.

Now I know my keys are good...however, I am having a lot more trouble bumping a mounted lock. I have been able to bump a mounted lock only twice, and with only pulling the key out one click. I'll keep practising and hope that eventually I get the mounted bump down as well.

Thanks to everyone who provided some tips.

#94 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:37 PM

Sorry to have pushed you in the wrong direction with the amount of force... your average beginner interprets "bump" as "smash", and the results don't quite work out well.

The real pain about bumping mounted locks in being able to put that same tension and force in the right places while in an akward position. Try practicing on an unmounted lock, but switching hands, applying tension with just one finger, etc. This is at least a little preparation for mounted locks. I find a lot of people, myself included, prefer to strike mounted locks from directly behind the key, as opposed to swinging the hammer sidewards.

Practice makes perfect, I suppose. Or at least better than nothing?

#95 Joe42

Joe42

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:07 AM

I still haven't gotten my Kwiksets bumped, but I did successfully pick open one 6/12 times and I locked a Kwikset deadbolt with my pics one time. Both are a first for me.

Maybe bumping success is right around the corner.

#96 wickid187

wickid187

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:06 PM

Bumping my test lock mounted wasn't too difficult. I came to realize that my house locks are a lot more difficult to bump than the test lock I bought. I don't know if it is because they are older, or because the key is different. When I unmounted one of my door locks and mounted the test lock, I was able to bump it with little issues...when trying to bump the home lock unmounted, I had a lot of problems. I filed the key down a bit and was able to successfully bump the lock after some effort using minimal movement. After practising for a while umounted, I mounted the lock in the door again and have not been able to bump it as of yet...at least I feel I am learning and getting a little better. Hopefully by next week I should have this down...

#97 bumber

bumber

Post-Aholic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:17 PM

im makin my own bumps ive used and done well w/ pro style but not mine does the height of the ^ matter that much???

#98 bumber

bumber

Post-Aholic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:05 PM

pm me if you can this is really important! thnx

#99 barry 1943

barry 1943

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:33 AM

OK my first posting. I feel like ropeadope. I have the 11 keyset. After a goof up on my part I recieved it after 2 months. (not their fault). I made copies. I have two paddlelocks and the lock key fits neither so it must just fit master locks (one of mine looks like a master but isnt) I bought a deadbolt and a door entry set. I mounted them on a board with a base and put non-skid on the base so it wouldn't slide. I have 3 keys that fit. (I know I am an idiot I tossed the package prior to seeing what kind of lock set it was(It was cheap)). I have put in about 3 hours. I have read all the questions on here. I do know I was putting too much pressure on them. I filed one key as was recommended on here (I think by topar). I have viewed all the videos. I also tried the Kwikset on my garage entry door (never locked) with no success. I am not sure how hard to hit it. I do know that I am wearing out the top part of the deadbolt with the shoulder. I have tried hitting it with a screwdriver, my pocker knife, a long file and a tack hammer. I did not see the response to "do you put the pressure with your finger all the time or when you hit it only?" I am switching back and forth with the filed key and another one that fits on using the pull back method. The thrid key that fits is the brass one and is long. Something just tells me I shouldn't us that one????
OK all you smart guys tell this 63 year old idiot how to get this thing to work. If you say practice give me some clues on what variations I should use as I practice. There are some smart guys on here.
I think I understand how the locks work and the Bump theory but only the basics. And I am sick of the videos they attack my ego LOL.
Thanks
  • BLK likes this
Barry

#100 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:14 PM

I did not see the response to "do you put the pressure with your finger all the time or when you hit it only?"

I am switching back and forth with the filed key and another one that fits on using the pull back method.

I am sick of the videos they attack my ego

1. You maintain a constant pressure on the key throughout the process. For most locks, the pressure is about equal or less than the amount of force you would use to carefully press an elevator button. It's really not too much at all. Too much force causes the top pins to be immobilized between the shell and the plug, so that the force is just dissipated into the body of the lock. So! just enough tension such that the lock would turn if you had the real key for the lock is sufficient.

2. Use the pull out method first. One click out, light tension, and a quick tap. Use either your screwdriver, striking with the handle; or your tack hammer. It's not so much about force - the pins that you're trying to jump are made out of brass, aluminum, etc. - they are invariably very light. Although we commonly use words like, "strike", "whack", etc. the best way is really just a quick flick of the wrist. Some people who have intermittent success at bumping use tension that's too heavy and blows that are too strong... the stronger impact unseats the jammed top pins, which sometimes all get above the shearline... it's a messy, damaging way of operating. So again... light tension (one finger does it!) and a flick of the wrist. It has nothing to do with the actual force, it's more like the velocity.

3. The videos online aren't suitable for anything except impressing your friends, family and co-workers when you tell them that you bump locks. Even for locksmiths that bump, their success rate is a dismally small fraction of what you find in videos online. How many takes it they take before splicing it all together and throwing it on YouTube?

Best of bumping!