• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#21 ropeadope

ropeadope

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 03:50 AM

Yeah, I hate how all the videos everywhere make it look so easy when I'm really struggling just trying to get one successful bump :P. Have probably tried 300+ times now, many different ways. No go at all, I'm real surprised, maybe I got a bad set (bought em from ebay), they look ok though, maybe the bumps are a little too short or something. I've tried the padlock key as well with no luck. I'm pretty sure if these keys were going to work I would of had at least one successful bump. My main target is kwikset locks since thats what we have in our house. Think I should just by a diff set? I think I will, this set of keys is getting me nowhere.

#22 ropeadope

ropeadope

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 03:15 PM

I bought a different set and am still having zero luck. Out of about 500 bump attempts, not one single successful bump :(

Are 6 pin kwikset locks common? I'm wondering if all the different kwikset locks i've tried to bump happen to be 6 pin and that's why it's not working, is that possible? I know if these keys were supposed to work they would have by now, i've tried everything.

#23 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 04:03 PM

They are common enough such that if you've tried 500 times, that's probably your problem. Kwiksets are notoriously easy to bump. I'm not a particularly skilled bumper even now, but a Kwikset was the first lock I got to open.

First, check the real key for the lock and make sure it's the same length as the one you have. Even the blanks for Kwiksets are mostly similar, so by looking at your house key, you should be able to discern whether you have the correct bump key. If your house key is longer (or your can count six grooves for pins on the house key) you're dealing with the wrong bump key. You'd then need a KW-10 as opposed to a KW-1.

If in serious doubt, post a picture of your bump key and your house key.

If this isn't the problem, it's technique... for Kwiksets you need medium tension. Pull out works surprisingly well, considering most people use minimal movement.

If you're not familiar with those terms, the pull-out method is a horrible method of contraception... and a fantastic way to bump locks. Pull the key out one "click" (pin) to bump it. (This eliminates the possibility of a poorly-filed key.)

And what are you using to bump? The force of the blow could be a problem too. Remember that it's more about shock than force.

AND finally have you filed your keys? People often run into problems having filed them down too much.

So... see if any of this helps, cruise around the forums for more info, and respond if you see fit.

#24 ropeadope

ropeadope

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for the reply. Here's a pic of the bump key I have, it's unmodified:

Posted Image

That's the original. I got it copied and have filed down the copy of it perfectly (not too much, not too little). I really can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, i've seen videos and read everything. I've tried bumping with lots of different things...screwdriver, hammer, wrench, different spoons, knives, shoes, just about anything I could find. I've tried all different kinds of tensions also, just so where i'm barely touching the key, to where i'm almost bending the key with tension, and everything inbetween. I've tried the minimal movement (with modified tip and shoulder) and pullback method (with the original unmodified key). Have used multiple different keys, mostly kwikset. I'm pretty sure the locks i'm testing on are just the stander 5 pin kwikset, because the 6pin key held up to my house key is too long, and the 5 pin kwikset lines up with it perfectly. What might I be missing here?

#25 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:12 PM

What might I be missing here?

If your original key already has a '9' cut in it, then it will be harder to bump.
If this is the case, then file the valley of your bump key a bit further.

Hope this help :wink:

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#26 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 07:14 PM

On my keys I always take off some of the first "bump" of the key to make it such that all the bumps are the same size.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It works for me. Eliminates the possibility of that last pin being knocked too high, I suppose. Let me know what you think and how it works for you.

#27 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:10 PM

Please look at the post by ropeadope. That is what your key should look like. It should have 5 cuts, not 7.
Bump it to the next level.

#28 cidkato

cidkato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 09:08 PM

On my keys I always take off some of the first "bump" of the key to make it such that all the bumps are the same size.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It works for me. Eliminates the possibility of that last pin being knocked too high, I suppose. Let me know what you think and how it works for you.

Interesting cuts, I have also experimented with the extra two "cuts". In my experience, however, the difference between the success of the keys has been negligible.

#29 ropeadope

ropeadope

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:06 PM

What might I be missing here?

If your original key already has a '9' cut in it, then it will be harder to bump.
If this is the case, then file the valley of your bump key a bit further.

Hope this help :wink:

That's good to know...It might have one 9 cut in it, but it's hard to say. The orig key (my house key) almost looks like a blank key except for a few minor cuts (probably 1 or 2 depth) and one deep cut closest to the shoulder (either 7, 8, or 9). I'm a little confused on where the Valley is, is that kinda where the shoulder slopes down? Thanks.

#30 StiG

StiG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 12:23 AM

I just don't get it. I bought a $10 lock at the local hardware store. I picked
up a bunch of blanks that fit the same lock and a few in my house. I've been using a rotary tool like a dremel to grind, cut, sand down keys and
bumps. It took me awhile before i got one that worked with the lock but it worked. It opened with ease with the 1 notch method. I did it within 4-5
tries and also worked on a lock in my door neither had no problems. Then after so much bumping the key broke and I threw it away but didn't think I
shoulda traced the key. Then I just received 10 of these so called depth keys from ebay and I cannot bump this lock. I think i might of messed it up
when I broke the key in it before. I dunno but the first key i made worked so easy now i'm pissed i can't get it to work for NADA!
-StiG

bump key? we don't need no stinking bump keysss

#31 Master Cutter

Master Cutter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 04:07 PM

I run a uk bump key site and every day I get emails and PM's from people who 'can't seem to do it'. I doubt anybody does it within the first day (unless they have really good help or have watched loads of vids and read everything the can on the subject - which is good advice). Stick with it. There's plenty of people on this site who've had success, so you know your keys work. But learn it, don;t force it. Repeatedly bashing any key into any lock is going to damage and wear both, then things really get tricky.
Keep at it, don't get frustrated
regards
Master Cutter
clack, clack, clack - done it!

#32 ropeadope

ropeadope

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:54 PM

Well, I'd hate to blame the tools, but there is no way these keys are going to work. Has anyone bought keys off of fleabay that worked? I'm thinking they're trying to sell fake keys knowing that they won't work.

#33 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 07:10 PM

Well, I'd hate to blame the tools, but there is no way these keys are going to work. Has anyone bought keys off of fleabay that worked? I'm thinking they're trying to sell fake keys knowing that they won't work.

Send them to me and I will see if they work.... :D
Bump it to the next level.

#34 StiG

StiG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:34 AM

Well things seem alot better. I def got it down packed. I made a video to.. check it out .

-StiG

#35 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:46 AM

Well things seem alot better. I def got it down packed. I made a video to.. check it out .

Very cool. I like the ninja hood!

#36 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 01:06 AM

Very cool. I like the ninja hood!

The hood adds a bit to it ;)

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#37 ropeadope

ropeadope

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 03:33 AM

Thanks for the vid. Finally a video that doesn't make it look so effortless :P - From that I might of found what i've been doing wrong. The entire shoulder of the key has to be kinda smoothed out into a slide-like dip? I mean, instead of looking like this:
Posted Image

It should look like this? (not just upside down :P i mean look at the shoulder)
Posted Image

So it has to look more like that?

#38 StiG

StiG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for the vid. Finally a video that doesn't make it look so effortless :P - From that I might of found what i've been doing wrong. The entire shoulder of the key has to be kinda smoothed out into a slide-like dip? I mean, instead of looking like this:
Posted Image

It should look like this? (not just upside down :P i mean look at the shoulder)
Posted Image

So it has to look more like that?

well i've successfully bumped locks with the keys regular. It's def harder to do it that way without modification. But yea make the shoulder a nice smooth slope and take a little bit off the tip. Pressure wise I barly even touch the key and you just gotta hit it in the right spot and it just opens. Hope the video helped out. Yea I look like an iraqi soldier!! ready to behead some keys! muahah
-StiG

#39 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 02:58 PM

From this moment forth, we shall call you 'Ninja Bumper' (take a look at your name).

Really though... I'm SURE that your posts have undoubtedly helped someone out. Great video \ great tut!

James K. - Lead Support

#40 StiG

StiG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:32 PM

lol ninja bumper...i'll take it! weeeeeeeee :lol:

From this moment forth, we shall call you 'Ninja Bumper' (take a look at your name).

Really though... I'm SURE that your posts have undoubtedly helped someone out. Great video \ great tut!

-StiG