• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#201 carpalex

carpalex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 03:16 PM

Yes, it's a pretty cheap padlock. I had some problems opening it, even with its original key (you have to find a certain position to turn it, otherwise it gets stuck).

So, do you suggest that I practise on a better quality padlock?

#202 skip 2 my lou

skip 2 my lou

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 03:43 PM

I started with the Master series, and I haven't made it through all the master locks yet! Get a plain jane master lock the is stamped "no. 1" by the keyway. The old master is pretty easy to open, when I get bored I just grab a lock, open it a few times, and set it down. Next go up to "no. 3" then "no. 5". Keep going up. Find the M1 key to start. Then the M10. After that supply is slim maybe a M6000 and M7000. I enjoy making my own keys. When you get to this point, I would pick up the China lock again. I have a china lock that I can only open 2 out of 10 tries. The cheap locks are usually a bit more difficult.
Bump first and ask questions later.

#203 skip 2 my lou

skip 2 my lou

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 03:45 PM

Sorry to double post.

Don't forget the lube on the old or cheap locks.
Use the Lube Luke.

#204 Giel88

Giel88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:54 AM

Can't get my bumpkey to work, pictures are below. When I hit it and release the key after realising it wont turn, I can hear the pins pop back in place, so somehow it is working on most pins.

See attachments for pictures

Attached Files

#205 skip 2 my lou

skip 2 my lou

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:08 AM

It looks to me that there is a problem with the last cut (closest to the shoulder.) This cut looks slightly out of line with the others and not deep enough. I would cut that one deeper and correct the spacing at the same time, it's not far off. At that point, it's time to try it again. I'm also not sure if your cuts are deep enough, you went slightly deeper than the original key on the filing. Not sure if the original cuts were a 9 depth.
Again, cheap locks have sloppy tolerances. This makes them a challenge to bump, maybe not the best training tool.Posted Image

#206 4closergirl

4closergirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:09 PM

Hi! I am new here. I recently purchased my first commercial building (former office space) and it has all Schlage locks. I have been in the home buying biz for a while and am able to either pick or bump most all of my homes. You can imagine how much $ and stress this has saved me.
Try as I might.....I can't pick or bump these stupid commercial style F Schlage locks. Are they pick/bump-proof???? I have purchased all of my keys from this wonderful site.
Any imput would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Christine

#207 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:16 PM

If you're dealing with the Schlage F lock-in-knob setups, I find that the success rate is greatly improved by immobilizing the knob itself, and then bump it in the ordinary fashion. Whether you're picking or bumping, if you're right handed, this is most easily achieved by immobilizing the knob with your left hand, and using your left thumb or index finger for tension on the key or tension wrench, respectively.

#208 4closergirl

4closergirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 10:27 AM

Many thanks! I will try this. Are these types known to be harder to open than others? Perhaps its just me?

Christine

#209 deadstealth

deadstealth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 03:28 PM

Im confused about what the finished, shoulder and tip cut (minimal movement) key should look like. I have a key bought from here, copied it, but when i go to file it, im not sure what im trying to make the key look like. There are 3 pictures ive seen on this thread that all say they are working keys, yet they all look different.

http://www.freewebs....k/kwikbump2.jpg
http://img186.images...mpareme0.th.jpg
http://i10.tinypic.com/2yy2poh.jpg

which one should the finished key look like? thanks for any help.

#210 deadstealth

deadstealth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:42 PM

Here are a few pics of my keys and what im using to bump

http://s7.photobucke...nt=SANY0081.jpg

this shows my homemade bump hammer, the printed page of what i was going for when filing, my copied key, and the file im working with (do i need a smaller one?)

http://s7.photobucke...nt=SANY0081.jpg

this pic shows the 2 shoulder cuts clearly. I messed up the bottom shoulder a litte, as you can see with that dip. will that effect anything? should i file more or is that too much?

http://s7.photobucke...nt=SANY0129.jpg

this shows the tip cut pretty well. I think im dead on with that cut, its the shoulder cuts im worried about. when i put the key in, the lock kind of pushes the key out just a little, like the pens are trying to slide down the slope of the cuts...

do i need to file down the last ^ on the key so that all of them are the same???

thanks for any help

#211 deadstealth

deadstealth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 04:41 PM

Here are working pics of the keys, i had to resize them due to the forum limits, but these should work instead of messing with photobucket. I think i filed a little too much on the bottom shoulder, will this effect anything? im trying for the minimal movement method. Thanks for any help.

Attached Files

#212 xspazx

xspazx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:43 PM

I bought the 5 key set off of this website. I've successfully bumped my front door probably 3/400 times. I bumped my back door 1/300.

Does anyone have any tips for me? I saw that feather torque video so i don't put too much torque on it and nor do I smack it really hard its the quality of the smack not the strength(or so i have read).

Anyone have any other tips?

#213 ahazaq2

ahazaq2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:14 PM

It's a lot harder than people make it out to be....

Can my 6 pin SC-20 bump my 5 pin SC-1 lock?

Its been a month, and no success.

#214 deadstealth

deadstealth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:22 PM

I bought the 5 key set off of this website. I've successfully bumped my front door probably 3/400 times. I bumped my back door 1/300.

Does anyone have any tips for me? I saw that feather torque video so i don't put too much torque on it and nor do I smack it really hard its the quality of the smack not the strength(or so i have read).

Anyone have any other tips?

What kind of lock is on your door? what key are you using? the kwickset keys are suppossed to be easier, but if you want any real success i reccommend just buying a door lock from home depot.

get the kwickset brand of lock just to make sure its as compatible as possible, and then use the kwickset key bump key from here. It will work unmodified, then you need a bump hammer. they have instructions for one on this site. It takes a lot of practice, but in a night or 2 (literally 500-700 bumps or so for me) you will start to get the hang of it. You need a practice lock because you dont want to damage your front door, and its just hard to get that many bumps on a mounted lock.

tips: use a bump hammer. I was able to bump my practice lock once with just my thumb, or even a screwdriver but i get way better results when i use the bump hammer. practice. ive bumped probably 1200 times by now and i still get maybe 1 bump every 7 hits. hold the lock horizontal when you bump it. and dont bump it too hard. you need just enough bump to firmly move the key to the end. you dont need much turning pressure either, just a little constant nudge with your thumb on the bottom. i used to use my forefinger and thumb for turning it but i found i didnt need that much turning tension for it to work. put the real key in and see how much tension it takes.

#215 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:54 PM

The quick and dirty for everyone having problems with tension and striking force:

You need just about as much tension on your key as you would as if your bump key were the change key for the lock... how much pressure does it take to turn the real key for the lock? Chances are that it's a lot less than you're using. Force in excess of this amount causes the pins to bind at the shear line, preventing the bump from working.

In terms of the amount of force you use to strike the key... you're moving five pins, each with a mass of a small fraction of a gram, against five minuscule springs, the length of travel being a centimeter or so. You need to use a tiny amount of force.

You must, however, hit the key with enough speed such that the transfer of energy throws the top pins, instead of simply pushing the entire pin stack up. Use some wrist action and a light tap. This is where using a bendable bump hammer helps, or something with a long lever arm. This allows the part of your hammer that strikes the key to be moving fast enough to exact the desired result without so much force that the bump fails.

And even with the best instructions, you will fail time and time again. Keep practicing, and you'll quickly acquire the "magic touch".

#216 xspazx

xspazx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:48 PM

I found a practice lock. My with my kw10 key I got here I can bump about 7/10 times!

#217 ahazaq2

ahazaq2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:10 AM

Are you sure that you pull the SC 20 out 2 clicks?

For a couple months I only used 1 click, and it worked once or twice out of nearly a thousand tries.

I'm trying to bump an SC-1 lock.

#218 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:20 PM

You most certainly can pull out an SC20 two clicks, but it's a bit trickier than using a dedicated SC1 key, as there is some horizontal wobble possible which can throw off your bump.

If your lock lacks a rear stop plate, as is the case for many Schlage mortise cylinders, you can still use the SC20 in the conventional 1-click fashion. You can check if such a plate exists by seeing if the SC20 key will fit fully into the lock without any resistance. If this is the case, you can bump using 1-click method, as the 2-click method is rather awkward.

#219 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:31 PM

Additionally! I find all Schlage locks, more so than almost any other, to vary widely in the amount of tension you need to use to get it to work. Read up on bumping techniques, vary the amount of tension you use and make sure you're not just pounding on the key... speed, not force, is the key. Good luck!

#220 Rictor

Rictor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:23 AM

Hi guys. I just received a set of 10 depth keys which I ordered from somewhere else:

(bumpkey.us doesn't ship to Canada, or else I would have ordered from here). It contains the same common keys as the 11-key set that bumpkey.us sells. With great anticipation I tried bumping, maybe 20 times on a number of different locks, but to no avail.

Is a depth key essentially the same thing as a bump key? I tried searching the forums but could find no definite answer. If I need to modify the keys to use them for bumping I have no problem with that, I just need to know what to do. Maybe it my technique that's not quite right...I'll keep trying.

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.