• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#181 PhreeX

PhreeX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:12 PM

Problems using my SC20 key in Schlage locks...

I have had luck using the SC1 key for bumping my SC1 lock (duh!) but I have tried using the SC20 key and have had no luck ... I have tried using it in an SC1 lock I have bumped many times with the SC1 bump key ... no luck...

Here is what I am doing... I have first tried to use it sans filing any part of it, just pulling it out a single click and bumping it - nothing, and I tried a good 30 or so times (and with the SC1 key I can bump this lock within 3 bumps max) and have still had no luck... ok, since the SC20 key is longer I have tried pulling it out a good 2 clicks - again, same results ....

I had another copy made (oh, yes, I never bump with the originals, I always get duplicates made first, I should have mentioned that first) ... with one of my duplicates I filed the tip and shoulders as you would for the minimal movement method, I still pulled back given the difference in length with the SC1 keys and the SC20 key - same results...

I don't have an SC4 key to practice on but I imagine since the keys are the same length there would be no problems, but I can't get it to work in the SC1 lock for the life of me...

Honestly, is the SC20 key CAPABLE of bumping the SC1 pathed locks, or is the difference in length such a factor that it just isn't possible?

I know that the key is good as every key I have tried from bumpkey.us has worked (of course saying that bumping locks is easy as child's play is an overstatement, and it took me a few days of practice before I finally had any success - but I have it down now, and the SC1 key and the lock I am using is one I have mastered and can ALWAYS get .... so, any tips on why the SC20 key won't work?

Thanks!

//p
!

#182 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:47 PM

Yes you can bump an SC1 lock with an SC20 bump key. I almost exclusively use the SC20 on Schlage locks. The SC20 is a 6 cut key so for the 5 pin locks (SC1, SC9, etc) you have to pull it out 2 clicks to make it work correctly.

Hint: You can make an SC4 bump key using the SC20 bump key as the key to duplicate on your key duplicating machine.
Bump it to the next level.

#183 cheshirecat

cheshirecat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 05:35 PM

hey.. im new here but i've tried bumping before...it hasnt ever worked for me but i thought it was fun anyway. then i found this site so i hope you guys. heres a key that i made just today. which is my second or third key.

Posted Image

this is a closeup of the valleys and such
Posted Image

and this is the other side
Posted Image

i dont if they valleys arent low enough. or if i cut the points down to much. i kinda hope its fixable though.

i guess i could include this too...this is a pic of a key that i based mine off of...
Posted Image

it kinda looks crappy now that i look at it.

#184 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:54 PM

The first question should be - does it work? If it works don't change a thing!!

The key, for a first or second try, really doesn't look that bad. The KW1 key is a key that works best with the peaks are low and the valleys are wide. If it's not working I would first try to widen the valleys and by doing this you would then also lower the peaks.

If your original key is keyed to a '7' you would need to file the 2nd valley a bit lower (deeper). Really, you're not going to hurt the key by taking a file to the key and making the valleys a bit deeper just to be safe.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#185 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:36 PM

What Slick said... and your last "ramp", the one closest to the head of the key, isn't quite sharp enough. Compare it to the rest of your peaks to see the difference in the angle... this won't matter if you're using it for pull out, but for minimal movement you may have problems.

#186 cheshirecat

cheshirecat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:25 AM

well when i had tried the key it didnt work. but before i try to fix it, is it possible for me to go too deep in the valleys?

#187 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:16 PM

Only technically speaking, in practice you can have the valleys as low as you want, assuming that your peaks have the proper angle and separation. Obviously as the depth of your valleys increase, the angle on your peaks is also going to increase up to the point that your key will not fit into the lock.

Anything before that is fair game. However, most people like to construct their bump keys such that the depth of the valleys is a fraction of a millimeter less than the actual measurement for the lowest cut for that locking system, so that the angle of the peaks is absolutely variable and perfectible.

#188 Sarx

Sarx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 06:02 PM

Attached File  08-26-07_1638.jpg   62.6KB   16 downloads
Hey Guys,
Been searching all over this forum and apparently this key *appears* to be correctly filed. I can't bump any locks with this key :brickwall:, and just wondering what I filed wrong (or still need to file).
Thanks in advance.

#189 skip 2 my lou

skip 2 my lou

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:19 PM

it looks like you've file too much of the "tip" and the "shoulder" off. These two are generally higher than the "teeth" in the middle of the key. Ican't get a good pic of my "ugly key." Your appears to be a M10, which just has one extra pin.
Bump first and ask questions later.

#190 Lock picker

Lock picker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:39 PM

Is it the right number of mountains and the last one needs to be a higher peak.

Step up to the next level of Bumping.
Are you ready?

#191 jack09

jack09

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:15 AM

So I've been practicing on and off for a month on my kwikset locked door with a bump key I made with a file. I never was able to bump my doorknob lock but was able to within 1-3 tries everytime bump open my deadbolt using minimal movement or pull-out. I finally got my bumpkey.us keys in a mail and tried the kw1 key on my door, but couldn't get it to work. I tried numerous times this morning with the pullout method (didn't want to file down for minimal movement until I got copies of the key) but couldn't get it to bump open. Then I tried my handmade key with pull-out and it worked like before.

I noticed my homemade key looks very different, it has pretty high rounded peaks with the valleys cut down to roughly the same depth as the bumpkey.us key, while the bumpkey.us key has very small peaks.

So basically...what's the deal? Is there a reason this should be happening?

#192 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 03:58 PM

So I've been practicing on and off for a month on my kwikset locked door with a bump key I made with a file. I never was able to bump my doorknob lock but was able to within 1-3 tries everytime bump open my deadbolt using minimal movement or pull-out. I finally got my bumpkey.us keys in a mail and tried the kw1 key on my door, but couldn't get it to work. I tried numerous times this morning with the pullout method (didn't want to file down for minimal movement until I got copies of the key) but couldn't get it to bump open. Then I tried my handmade key with pull-out and it worked like before.

I noticed my homemade key looks very different, it has pretty high rounded peaks with the valleys cut down to roughly the same depth as the bumpkey.us key, while the bumpkey.us key has very small peaks.

So basically...what's the deal? Is there a reason this should be happening?

Yes, there is an explanation for this. Some locks are more difficult to bump than others.

You might have thought that there was some really twisted or convoluted explanation as to why you could do one and not the other, but it really is that simple. Some locks are more difficult to bump than others. Period. That is it. The whole explanation in a nutshell. Some locks are just more difficult to bump than others. The really hard ones make you want to do this: :brickwall:

#193 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:17 PM

2nd what BLK said.

The only other two items I'll add is if you could post a picture of the two (original, home made) keys. If the original has a DEEP valley you might need to file the keys a bit further. The reason we don't file our keys further is they would become MUCH weaker than they currently are.
Second I would suggest filing the tip \ shoulder off the keys from bumpkey.us -- We're currently not able to send them thru the mail modified for various reasons listed before.

And if all else fails -- :brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#194 redryan243

redryan243

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:28 PM

I finally decided to make my first bumpkey, i took a key then still works but i didnt need, i adjusted it to what i thought was best, gave it a try and nothing. then i took it shaved down a bit more in some spots that looked to be off and still nothing, i was using the pull out method. then i decided to just shave off the tip and shoulder and still nothing i included some pics, 2 are next to a copy of what the key was, and the other 2 just my new key.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#195 redryan243

redryan243

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:28 PM

anyone got some ideas?

#196 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 04:40 AM

anyone got some ideas?

The key should look more like this:

Posted Image

Cut your valleys deeper and be sure to keep the spacing correct. You may want to start over with a new copy just to be sure the spacing is correct.

#197 lapo

lapo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:09 PM

I suggest that you buy new cylinder lock or something and analyze it. (like I did in my post).
I took a saw and cut cylinder-lock in half.
Posted Image
Posted Image
You can use one half of lock for practicing and other half, to check the correct shape of key. You can take out 1 pin, and try to put it in that filed space, to see how it fits.
I've learned a lot out of that analysis and I can bump that lock without problems.
In the beginning I had only 1-2 successful bumps in 50 or more tries. Now I got that bump feeling and I bump 1 in 5 or less tries.

Good luck !

#198 Gobias

Gobias

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:57 PM

Hi, I got my keys a couple of weeks ago, and I was wondering if it could be the copies that were affecting anything. Since the cut is so close to the bottom, when it makes a copy, it goes through (picture here http://www.jamessmil...com/?page_id=62) Thanks for any comments
ROUS's? I don't believe the exist.

#199 carpalex

carpalex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 08:50 AM

Hello,

I tried to manually make a bump key for the lock in the picture below:

Posted Image

The next picture shows the original key and the bump key:

Posted Image

For a reason i don't know, it won't work.
Could it be because of the shape (triangular) i filed the bumps? You can see that the original key doesn't have triangles...
Or are the bumps too short?

Thanks!

#200 skip 2 my lou

skip 2 my lou

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 12:25 PM

Your key looks pretty good. I've had problems with some of the cheaper padlocks. I'm not familiar with the lock in the pic, although I see "China" on it. A tail tail sign of a cheap padlock. I'm not a big fan of picks, but they would be more effective on that lock than a bumpkey. Most of the lower end padlocks are so sloppy, bumping them is similar to raking a mud puddle.
Bump first and ask questions later.