• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#1 ropeadope

ropeadope

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:24 AM

NOTE: THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE TO POST ABOUT YOUR KEYS NOT WORKING! DO NOT START A NEW THREAD

I'm bummed out, I can't get my kwikset bumpkey to work. Kwikset are the only locks in my house so i can't test the 5 others i got. I've tried it about 100 times, tried using a hammer, dull knife, screwdriver, shoe, and a flip flop. I've filined down the tip and shoulder more after every 20 tries or so. It feels like it should be working, i'm pretty sure i'm doing it right. Not much point in making this thread i know, but i'm desperate to try and get it working. Any ideas?

#2 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:02 AM

Just keep working at it. We all struggled at the beginning, but once you get it, it becomes like second nature. I can usually bump successfully 4 out of 5 times, but I was once in the exact same boat as you.

#3 ropeadope

ropeadope

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:58 AM

I'll keep at it, but this key is going to start wearing down pretty soon, if it hasn't already. I really feel like if i haven't done it yet, it's never going to work, because i've tried everything, and a lot of it felt right, but, can't ever get the key to turn :? - Thanks for the words of encouragement though :)

#4 warwagon

warwagon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:35 PM

With a key I made, I've bumped a Kwikset (deadbolt) that I was holding in my hand, and a entry door, BUT for some reason I'm having trouble with a Kwikset deadbolt that is mounted in the door.

Strange.

Waiting on my BumpKey,US keys and hopefully that will make the difference.

#5 Erwin

Erwin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:27 PM

Ha Ropeadope,
I'm also a rookie and had the same experience you are having. I thought sure the keys were bad that I got through Bumpkey.Us. There not. It was me. A nice fellow in the forum helped me greatly. Keep reviewing the videos and read the messages in the forums. One day, you will bump and your eyes will get like grapefruits..............what a rush. Repeat that last bump and twick it until you get it again and again. Practice with uninstalled locksets or deadbolts. Mounted locksets are a different ballgame.

#6 warwagon

warwagon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:11 PM

Why is a mounted lockset different from the same lockset held in your hand, I wonder?

Is it the angle of attack?

You can control pressure on the key better on the one in your hand?

#7 lockman

lockman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:51 AM

You need to compensate for "give' and "bounce" experienced when held in hand.

Various ways to do this:

Adjust strength of "strike" and turning pressure.

With key in knob set you can try squeezing knob away from door.

#8 ropeadope

ropeadope

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:22 AM

I'm really thinking there's a problem with my key, like i filed it down too much or not enough. I've tried doing everything differently at different times.

#9 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:23 AM

ok, it should be filed down to where whne you put it into the lock, and then push it in the additional amount, the spring loaded pins should push it back out. Its it stays in, it means that you havent filed enough, if it clicks, and stays in that means you filed way too much

#10 lockman

lockman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:00 PM

From your post I gathered that your key opens hand held locks/cylinders. Is this right?.

#11 lockman

lockman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:34 PM

One other thing you may like to try. Check my avatar - small hole drilled level with or just back from shoulder. You can use piano wire for turning pressure - slight only. Also minimises marking barrel if drilled to contact together with shoulder.

#12 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:59 PM

Posted in wrong place by mistake

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#13 phreakwenci

phreakwenci

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:39 PM

ok, it should be filed down to where whne you put it into the lock, and then push it in the additional amount, the spring loaded pins should push it back out. Its it stays in, it means that you havent filed enough, if it clicks, and stays in that means you filed way too much

define "click"??

#14 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:49 AM

Click, as in, you filed off too much, and your key practically goes in an entire pin more.

#15 lockman

lockman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:32 PM

#16 lockman

lockman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:35 PM

#17 ropeadope

ropeadope

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:08 AM

Aye, can't figure it out. Tried my Kwikset key on 3 different locks and it ain't happenin. Also tried my padlock key and couldn't bump that either, I'll try and get keys from a diff place (probably this place). I don't think it's my technique, but for some reason the keys just don't work. Is it possible that all the kwikset doors i've tried are 6 pin? Are those common at all?

#18 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 12:50 PM

stick something in and count them :D !

#19 lockman

lockman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 01:45 PM

At the risk of taking the moral high ground " A good tradesman never blames his tools" and "When all else fails - Read the instructions".

As with most things unless you take the time to understand what you are trying to achieve and how best to achieve it it is unlikely that you will ever succeed.

There is a ton of information available on the technique of "Bumping". Together with information on how cylinders operate take the time to read and observe.

Good luck to all who succeed - I'm heading outback. Very few locks needed out there.

#20 criant

criant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 04:27 PM

Wow .. Don't I feel like a total jackass .. I'm being outsmarted by an 8 year old !