• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cutter

cutter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:50 AM

If I go to a hardware store with my house key and asked for a copy and asked for a second matching key cut to code 999 would that be the correct depth key code?

#2 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:03 AM

yes, but they probably cant cut it. Most hardware stores will not have a code cutting machine, they merely make exact copys of a key you supply them with. You will have to try a locksmith, or buy from bumpkey.us

#3 cutter

cutter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply. I am buying some bumpkey.us keys I just thought I would scarf one today for my lock and start practicing.

#4 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:57 PM

you could always make one.... search the forum for info on how

#5 cutter

cutter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:14 PM

Naw, after I have one to go by I might give that a shot but for now I would just be frustrating myself more than likely. :lol:

#6 lockman

lockman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:52 PM

Strictly speaking, No!

It depends on the lock manufacturer. Not all keys are cut to 9 depths - As an example the deepest cut could be as low as 5 and as high as 10.

#7 Martin

Martin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:44 AM

Strictly speaking, No!

It depends on the lock manufacturer. Not all keys are cut to 9 depths - As an example the deepest cut could be as low as 5 and as high as 10.

I agree with you, that not all the keys cut to 9 depth as it depends on locks manufacturer.