• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cutter

cutter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:46 AM

I noticed that some sites recomend a lock lubricant, before bumping does this help and if so will wd40 work instead of the special lock lube?

#2 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:39 PM

It depends...if the lock has graphite in it, it will become sticky when you add any kind of lube to it. If it is corroded in the plug and chambers, you have a 50% chance of improvement. I would put a key blank in the lock a couple of times to loosen it up and then try to bump it without adding lube. If that does not work, the best thing to do is dissemble the lock and check it. If you need to unlock it to dissemble it and do not have the skill set to do that, practice on a different lock that works.
Bump it to the next level.

#3 cutter

cutter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:26 PM

Thank you for the reply BLK. I was asking in general if lock lubricant helps since many locksmith supply sites recommend using it before picking or bumping a lock. And was curious if WD would do as well.

#4 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:41 AM

I use Tri-Flow lock lube myself as my locksmith instructor had personal dislike for WD-40. WD-40 tends to "dry" much faster than Tri-Flow or other lubes made specifically for locks. As for using any lube for picking or bumping, I personally don't unless the lock won't pick or has been directly in the weather. When I do use lube lube for picking, I don't see any difference in the time it takes to open a lock. If you spray lube in a lock that you end up not being able to pick and have to impression a key, the lube makes it very diffucult to see any pin impressions on the key.
Probably way too much info to say, I don't use lube that much. WD-40 is a 'down-n-dirty' way to loosen a lock, therefore, very acceptable.

#5 fred5874

fred5874

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:02 PM

Don't use WD-40 on a lock. It will gum up the pins. Only use graphite.

#6 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:26 PM

If the lock has been sprayed with lube already, putting graphite in it will gum up the pins.

#7 Ah Mad Lad

Ah Mad Lad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:48 AM

You know what works great? Sticking gum over the keyhole and then inserting the key, works wonders. Well by works I am assuming your goal is to destroy the lock.