• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stealthagent

stealthagent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:40 PM

Is it an issue if i filed off more than 1 mm from the bumpkeys... if so anything that i can do to fix them? If I have filed off some of the shoulders can I still use the pull out method as well as the minimal movement?

Replies appreciated

oh i included pictures of a bump hammer i made, and the keys that i filed, there is also a picture of a master lock key compared to the real key to the lock... can't seem to get it to work, mabey i filed it to much
comment por favor?

-stealthagent

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Pleiades

Pleiades

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:02 PM

If you took off too much of the shoulder, you can try and rebuild it back up with something like epoxy putty. I tried melting a blob of solder onto one of my keys, but it proved to be quite hard to remove the solder if it dripped into the grooves in the key. I did get it to work eventually. I recommend you get a copy made of the repaired key so that you will have an all-metal copy.

#3 lockman

lockman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:18 PM

Just place a thin washer ( or purpose made shim ) between shoulder and face of plug/barrel.

#4 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:03 AM

Nice hammer! To add some weight to it, I would put a short 1/4 inch anchor screw in the back side of it. I still like my square handled screwdriver better, but may make a wooden one with an old ruler or piece of a yardstick and a hunk of oak and, of course, the anchor screw for weight.
Bump it to the next level.

#5 stealthagent

stealthagent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 07:12 PM

Next time i get a free second i will try this out, thank you for the comments guys, it was about time :)

three cheers for reform

- stealthagent

#6 bumpfiend

bumpfiend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:18 PM

I take the shoulders right off my keys. It avoids the give-away worn dimple above the lock entrance that bumping causes, my shoulders are now a gradual slope from the tip of the last peak up to the head. there's pics on my site but I'll get one on hrer soon. This method and has increased me and my customers success.
I just tried to post a pic but the valium just kicked in and I've got about four moniotrs flotingabout in frton of me
cheers[/img]
spam all day long.

#7 ChicagoLocks

ChicagoLocks

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:14 AM

The hammer you made was great and looks like it will work better in bumping. I sometimes use back side of screwdriver as hammer and it also work best for me.
Sandy