• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 smiley

smiley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:12 PM

okay, so i know some of you are having trouble learning how to bump a lock. its really quite simple. with a few tips hopefully i can increase your luck/skill. i have been picking locks(as a hobbiest) for many years, i started on paperclips and padlocks and quickly went to real pics and 6 pin deadbolts. anyways here ares some tips i found answer lots of the questions commonly asked on here.

firstly; How hard do i hit the key?

i have found the simplist way to put this is a reflex test at a doctors office, perhaps a tad harder. where they hit your knee with their little rock hammer to induce a reflex kick. thats about the force needed to bump a lock. i use a heavy screwdriver and hold it right below the handle by the shaft(metal). i let the screwdriver rest loosly in my grip(so it rocks back and forth when i move my hand), then i just give it a tap.

faq #2; how much tension do i need?

first off tension is the amount of pressure required to turn the lock once(basically) during picking/bumping. too much tension and the lock will bind up and you will get nowhere. not enough and the pins will not catch and you will also get nowhere. so how much is enough? well i define it as your hand is pressed up against the door with fingers pointed up and the palm almost touching the door. the thumb is then resting on the bottom of the key pressing slightly on the bottom of the key to rotate it. the amount of pressure is about the weight of your hand on the key. not really much pressure at all, very light, your finger should not be turning red lol. just a light pressure, like that of a half twist tension wrench slightly bending(for you conventional pickers out there)

What can i use to bump with(striker/hammer)?

i use a heavy screwdriver with a relatively hard clear plastic type handle. its made by stanley with a part number 66-266(i think). the handle is clear and i cannot mark it with my fingernail. you can use anything though. i like heavier object so i can use less swing. i like to hold it pretty loosly so it transfers more momentum. i have never seen the need fore a specialty bump hammer.

other tips

when you fail a bump remember to turn the key the opposite way until you hear all the pins reset, otherwise theres a good chance a pin is still lodged in the wrong place and you can't then bump it. so remember to reset

repete. try try try. get a chair, turn on some music and go to it. BUT PAY ATTENTION to what your doing. if you get it once you want to be able to remember what you did differently from previous attempts, then try to replicate that motion. once you have figured out your natural motion that is successful keep doing it that way and turn it into muscle memory.

if you get tired or frustraded then take a break!! if your hand is tired then your technique changes and will throw everything off. if you get angry then just stop. you don't need any broken keys or holes in your wall :)

i did not go into detail on grinding because there are already good posts on that.

if you have any other questions let me know, ill try to answer them

oh ps im using bumpkey.us keys, they work great.

#2 smiley

smiley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 01:12 PM

update on tools.

i have been playing with different strikers and here are my findings. this is all done on different kwikset locks.

tennis shoe: GREAT sucess. i was able to get about 90 percent sucess with this. i hit it with the heel, somewhat hard rubber. i use the same technique as mentioned above. i was also able to break my standing record of bumps in sucession. i made it to 11 bumps without a failed bump in rapid sucession(in about a minute) if i took my time i could prolly have gone longer, but i went for speed.

below are my numbers to display how any object can be a good striker if you learn how to use it. (successful attempts / total attempts)

10/11 tennis shoe

9/10 light screwdriver

7/10 Metal 17mm wrench

6/10 can of spray paint

6/10 metal "C" clamp (heavy and hard)

2/10 heavy framing hammer. using the heavy metal end lol.

please note that i went to the lock with striker in hand and started counting. no practice bumps, no warm ups. some of these are objects i have never bumpped with before. with time i believe that any of these objects could be practiced with and sucess percentage improved.

hopefully this will help end all the complaining about how the striker isn't good enough. you don't need to spend any money on buying or making a striker, use almost anything in your garage! just learn the differences each tool requires.

if you have any other objects you would like me to test let me know. any other questions then hit me up.

#3 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:37 PM

can of spray paint soudns dangerous. A nice spark and you can be quite injured

#4 ropeadope

ropeadope

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for the guide. I ordered a set of 6 bump keys and haven't had any luck yet. I feel like it should be working, but it certainly isnt' The keys all look perfect. My locks are Kwikset, but using the kwikset key i can't get it to work. I've tried filling it down, but still no go. I'm pretty sure i've filed it enough by now, hopefully not too much, but it's certainly not working. I didn't think this would require so much skill :(

#5 Pleiades

Pleiades

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:59 PM

I seriously doubt you could get the can to explode, for a number of reasons. For one, the key is probably made of brass, which is incapable of creating a spark when struck.

#6 MrLocks

MrLocks

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:46 AM

Nice guide, this guide helped lot and mostly beneficial for newbie's. Thanks for sharing...
Sandy