• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mildlyincoherent

mildlyincoherent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:44 PM

Hello. I'm a bumpkey newbie (sorry). I just received a few of them in the mail, and have been trying unsuccessfully to get them to work for the past two hours or so. I'm getting rather exasperated. I'm wondering if it is possible to make a bumpkey unusable by filing off to much of the tip/shoulder? I only took off about .5mm (in an attempt to get the minimal movement method to work). No such luck. I also think I may have killed one of them (a KW 10) by attempting to poorly file it down into 10-10-10.

My second question is do you know of any reputable place to get bumpkeys with the shoulder and tip already modified? (not sure if posting links is against the site's TOS, if so please ignore this request).

Lastly, do you guys have any tips for the novice? I've tried both methods, and all different amounts of pressure and torque...but just can't seem to get it to work. Will making a tool like the one depicted here http://www.lockpicki...=asc&highlight=
help?

Thanks in advance. Any help would be *much* apreciated.

#2 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:18 PM

First off. Welcome to the forums!

Yes, if you file off too much on the shoulder or tip, it may make the key unusable. But, with that being said. I highly doubt that you shaved off too much. I found that I needed to file off just a little bit more than a .5 mm. Basically, you want to file it off, and keep testing it with the lock. You should be able to push it in just a little further, and actually feel the pins push it back out. When it does that, then you have filed enough.

Secondly. It is actually illegal to ship any keys with the shoulder and tip modified. As much as bumpkey.us would love to ship them out already made, and easy for you to use, its just not possible without getting into one hell of a legal dispute. So with that being said. Every bump key that you find on the internet will need to be modified. Thats just the way it goes :?

As for the bump tool. It seems to be effective, but right now, the most effective thing is the hammer. As of right now, bumpkey.us is not selling them, but it looks as if they might be soon. If you dont have the patience to wait it out, people have HIGHLY recommended this kit.

http://www.lockpicks...PROD&ProdID=640

Good luck with bump keying. Once you get the technique, it becomes extremely easy. And again, welcome to the forums.

#3 mildlyincoherent

mildlyincoherent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:25 PM

First off: Thanks for the warm welcome.

Secondly, I built the aforementioned tool (filing through a steel pipe is a lot more work than I originally guessed ;P), but still haven't had any luck. That being said, I've only been at it for about 20 minutes (and I'll resume after posting this).

I was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions or guidelines for about how much pressure and how much torque I should apply? Or does it differ massively from lock to lock?

Also, if you guys have the time and are willing, I'd like to post some photos of a few of the keys I got, and get you're opinions on them.

Thanks a bunch.

P.S. How much would buying a special bump hammer (like: https://www.lockpick...PROD&ProdID=640) help? It seems a little pricey...but if it would be really benifical then i'd be willing to give it a shot.

#4 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:45 PM

Well, as for tension, you want to have as little as possible. Just barely enough to turn the key.

I highly recommend the bumping hammer, its quite nice, but if you already made one, its not really needed

#5 mildlyincoherent

mildlyincoherent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:19 PM

Thanks. Here is a video of my key, and (failed) attempts. For some reason Youtube fragmented it pretty badly...but you can get the jist:

Do you see anything I'm doing wrong? Any suggestions of things I should change?

#6 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:04 PM

Thanks. Here is a video of my key, and (failed) attempts. For some reason Youtube fragmented it pretty badly...but you can get the jist:

Do you see anything I'm doing wrong? Any suggestions of things I should change?

Looks like you filed just a little too much

Take some electrical tape, and tape up the top shoulder a time or two. That should help

#7 ChicagoLocks

ChicagoLocks

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:21 AM

Sometimes extra filing can cause this issue, as suggested tape it will work or you can start with the another one but use minimal method and file it with precautions.
Sandy