Photo
- - - - -

Just got my first bumpkey, need helpEDIT: Found My Problem!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DC2BAR

DC2BAR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 10:24 PM

So i just got my 5 pack in the mail today from bumpkeys.us. Needless to say on my way back into the house i promptly locked the door, sat down, and tried for a good hour and a half to get the thing to pop, with no success. I've tried varying levels of pressure, and varying levels of pressure/tension on the key, and I just can't seem to get it. It seems i get the best results (so i think) when i put a fair amount of tension on the key, and wail on the back of the key with a screwdriver. I think it works well because i can hear some clicking/ticks (pins falling back into place?) when releasing tension and when I use a significant amount of force, but cannot get the thing to open.

One obeservation I had is the first notch of my original key is very, very high (i'm guessing higest position). Could it be that i'm just not able to transfer enough energy to push the pin up that high? I'm going to go to the store in the morning and try another lock, but this kind of perplexes me.

Anyone that could answer any of my questions would be much appreciated. Also, how much does a hammer help? If it would significantly help my learning curve and are reasonably priced, i'd definately pick one up. Thanks!

EDIT:
I noticed on toool's whitepaper, there's 2 methods, one requiring the key to be ground down, are the bumpkey.us kwikset keys filed down for the minimal movement method? or should i be using the one click method like I have?

#2 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 12:07 AM

where's that virus at......

#3 Akina1021

Akina1021

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 12:29 AM

where's that virus at......

lol at that comment...
I never quit.... i wanna keep improving in everything i do in life... little by little everyday... i improve my skills...

#4 bumpfiend

bumpfiend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 02:33 AM

You shouldn't need to whack it, I usually find a good 'tap' works (about as hard as knocking a pin into a bit of cork)
persistance. You could post pics of the key and we could take a look.
Also, I reckon striking tools are great. But as a newbie I'd say it was money best spent on a/some locks
cheers
spam all day long.

#5 DC2BAR

DC2BAR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:39 PM

found my problem! I was putting wayyyyy too much tension on the key...I perfected the practice locks tension by using the original key, and bumping that in with the one click method. With the amount of tension i was using before, the pins binded in the lock and the original key wouldn't even open it. After bumping the orig. key with just barely enough tension to turn the lock and still have it open, I practiced with the bumpkey and raised my success from ~1/70 to ~1/20, I'm hoping when i get my bump hammer in it will be ~1/5!

#6 Akina1021

Akina1021

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:21 AM

see i always say its in the tension man... good one...
I never quit.... i wanna keep improving in everything i do in life... little by little everyday... i improve my skills...

#7 Tim

Tim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:39 PM

Yeah I agree that tension is very vital part of whole lock bumping process. I always start with low tension and never give too much tension while turning the key.