• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 soulcontrol

soulcontrol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 05:27 PM

ok i have punches that i work on for weiser, kwikset, and schlage i have punched out multiple 9 keys for all three and duplicated them on a key cutter and worked on filing them down many hours now to get them to work, however I have not got them to work but once on the weiser and then the key never worked again. I guess im just asking any suggestions i can duplicate them and stuff when i get mastered and i have unlimited blanks.

#2 Akina1021

Akina1021

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:42 PM

consistency is all you need... find your zone.. keep practicing... and check around the forum to see if your keys are filed/cut correctly to make sure it isnt the key's problem that you are not succeeding...

#3 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:23 PM

consistency is all you need... find your zone.. keep practicing... and check around the forum to see if your keys are filed/cut correctly to make sure it isnt the key's problem that you are not succeeding...

Agreed 100%.

The old saying goes 'Practice makes perfect'

Well.. then there's this one too: 'No one's perfect, so why practice.'

HELP - I've lost myself!

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#4 soulcontrol

soulcontrol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:20 PM

damn work i didnt want to hear that i wanted to hear an easy answer, lol no i will continue to work on them then i also saw on here that they tend to work better if you go a little deeper then 9 no so tommorow i am going to punch some out and grind them down another touch and then check the shoulder. but i have unlimited locks to practice on so that is great since this is what i do.

#5 lockman

lockman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 06:47 PM

So you want an easy answer(s):

Dont file shoulder or tip - Move key shoulder back .75mm before punching.

Dont cut to deepest cut - insert wire under back of blank before punching. Thickness of a thin paper clip should suffice.

Dont release turning tension after striking head - keep hitting it up to 20 times to see if cylinder will eventuallt open. If it does your pressure technique needs refining.

And practise - practise - practise.

In general a cylinder should open after 1 -2 strikes and remember "life wasnt meant to be easy".