Photo
- - - - -

Whats wrong with my Kwikset Bump key?!!?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JonnyMark

JonnyMark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:38 PM

Just recieved my order of bump keys

Low quality blurry pictures taken from my cell phone =/

This is the key I got in the package:
Posted Image

This is the copies I made from it, bottem one is copy unmodified, top one is cut little bit off the tip and little bit off the shoulder. Anyone wrong with either one?
Posted Image

I tried on 2 locks, one deadbolt and one is just a doorknob lock that I bought for practice, I been working on this for some time not sure what is wrong I use a hammer rubber part (handle of it) to strike it and still nothing.

EDIT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Modified it a little more, cut little off tip and modified the shoulder and still doesnt work.

Posted Image

Can anyone post a quality picture of thier WORKING Kwikset bump key, please?

#2 Akina1021

Akina1021

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:12 AM

well here is my key... it works like wonders heh...
Posted Image
Posted Image

Also, factor in how much tension you are applying on your key, from experience its mostly because of tension that affects how well you're doing.

practice makes perfect... just find your zone and you'll get it... just dont ever give up on it... remember tension/torque and how hard you're hitting change it up and results will happen good luck man

#3 lockman

lockman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:35 PM

The cuts are to wide. For best results with linear pick (Bump) keys try to make the cuts just wide enough for the bottom pin to sit on base of cut.

#4 lockman

lockman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:40 PM

Sorry - forgot following. File or cut bittings half cut deeper than deepest cut and centre bittings .05 to 1.0mm further from shoulder than standard.

#5 Pleiades

Pleiades

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:39 AM

Kwikset locks have fatter pins, those cuts look fine.

#6 Willis

Willis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:26 PM

The cuts are to wide. For best results with linear pick (Bump) keys try to make the cuts just wide enough for the bottom pin to sit on base of cut.

I agree with you that the gaps are wide and he need to make only wide enough for pin to sit on the base of cut. Lot of practice needed in filing the key as that is also a main part in bumping a lock.