• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Ah Mad Lad

Ah Mad Lad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 01:38 PM

This tool is great because it will give you a consistant bump once you get it set the way you want and it will allow you to torque the key at the same time. Very cool tool.

Here's a video of it in action:

And here is the design:

http://www.lockpicki...=asc&highlight=

Here's a breakdown. It's simple and self-explanatory. It's not the best-looking tool and there is tons of room for improvement, so someone improve it or build a better one and tell us how you made it.

I took a file and filed grooves for tension as you can see in the 4th photo. When I did this the key wanted to slide into the pipe so I took a hammer and beat in the sides a little.

I also clipped the end of the spring to make it easy to change keys.

Materials used:

3/4" x 3" Steel pipe nipple
3/8" x 3 1/2" Steel pipe nipple
7/16" x3 1/2" x .047 Spring
1 hex nut from my Garage

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Ah Mad Lad

Ah Mad Lad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:24 PM

I thought people would be a bit more interested in this, I guess not.

#3 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:37 PM

Its interesting, just seems like alot of work to build, especially since my screwdriver is working fine as a hammer

#4 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:13 PM

I second that.

If someone was manufacturing these, and selling them I would buy one.

But to build one right now... I just don't have the time \ inclination.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#5 Akina1021

Akina1021

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:41 PM

i built it... and i failed lol.... the key keeps slipping out wen i turn... tsk tsk... i rather just use my bump hammer

#6 Pleiades

Pleiades

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:54 PM

This is no better than any blunt object, unless it automatically twisted at the right time, which it doesn't.

#7 Alatus

Alatus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:43 PM

Well the design looks like it doubles as a tension tool. The cuts in the end of the large outer screw look made to hold the key.

It would certainly save on nicked fingers. I imagine that it would cost more to produce than a generic hammer though.

#8 RalphWiggum

RalphWiggum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:58 PM

Hmm, I wonder if you somehow made this device into a gun of some sort that automatically trusts it in and out, like a piston almost. Have an adjustable torque tool on it, and some sort of tip that allows all keys to attach to it. At that point you could insert the key, press the trigger and you could have almost 5 bumps per second. Perhaps it could be powered by a CO2 cartridge. Talk about making bumping almost guaranteed and effortless.

#9 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:45 PM

I drew up a design for a bump gun a few months ago. I actually have complete plans, for a production gun, but I never put it all together and patented it or anything. I made a prototype, and it worked great. It's a bit more than I need for lockouts, though. It would be more of a government/police/PI type of instrument, where opening locks is an annoyance and not a job.

It's not to be highly publicized either, because if the media is all up in arms about bumping, they'd fill their pants watching this thing work.

#10 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:03 PM

I drew up a design for a bump gun a few months ago. I actually have complete plans, for a production gun, but I never put it all together and patented it or anything. I made a prototype, and it worked great. It's a bit more than I need for lockouts, though. It would be more of a government/police/PI type of instrument, where opening locks is an annoyance and not a job.

It's not to be highly publicized either, because if the media is all up in arms about bumping, they'd fill their pants watching this thing work.

Well there go my plans for mass marketing it =(

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#11 RalphWiggum

RalphWiggum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:33 PM

theopratr: I'd like to see those plans :)

Not to mass market it and make millions, just to build one of my own. Sweeeet.

#12 sniper101

sniper101

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:37 PM

Theopratr: If you actually decided to produce some of the bump "guns", i would definatley be interested in buying one, and many other people probably would be too. Just giving you an idea, and if you ever have the time, post a video of your gun to see how it works and everything, that is of course after you patent it and make sure no one else can steel your idea :P.

#13 RalphWiggum

RalphWiggum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 07:55 PM

You could always do the "poor mans" patent. Just write up all the instructions on how you make it, very detailed.. put it in a united states postal priority envelope and mail it to yourself. They put the date on it, and when you get it.. just don't open it.

Wala. Poor mans patent. You have proof you made it/designed it before anyone else.

THEN make a video of it working and such and sell me one :)

#14 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:16 PM

What a flurry of support!

I've drawn up some good plans on it, but locks are, in reality, worth so little that I don't think I'd really get any interest from anywhere but the general public to buy one. Of course, I'll let you guys have it if I decide to start cranking them out. ;)

I actually made several variations, the basic idea being a trigger fired cyclical spring mechanism, although I have tried other ways of doing it. I made a series of attachments for the main gun by essentially crafting a very good bump key and cutting part of the head off of it, so that the blade remained, plus the piece of the head that was of the same specifications as the rest of the blade. I drilled a hole in what used to be the head, and this screws into the gun. Thus, you would still need varying types of blades for different locks. (A KW1 blade, a SC1 blade, etc.)

My first model was a one bump per cock mechanism... very simple. You pull a cocking handle, and then the trigger, and the force of the spring releasing pops the blade into the lock with enough force to bump it. The beauty of the system was that you put the tension on the tool itself, so the entire process can be completed with one hand. Out of seven Kwikset cylinders, it opens six of them on the first try >90% of the time.

The face of the tool where the blade is inserted has a rubber washer attached to it, so the impact blow from the blade being inserted into the lock doesn't leave an impression on the face of the cylinder. This was a problem initially, as the blow from the bump gun is slightly more than is necessary for most locks, as some locks (Schlage and Arrow in particular) really require a firm whack to get them open. My second model has variable spring pressure, so you can adjust the force of the proverbial strike to match the lock in question. In any case, the washer was added to prevent damage to the lock if the force was too high.

The first model that I speak of was actually a cannibalized "Lock-Aid" tool. I removed the majority of it's internal components, as they directed force upwards, not laterally. I more did it because it made the finished product look like a professional tool. I cut a groove on the side for my cocking handle, and added a spring and a mechanism for the trigger stop.

My second model was semi-automatic and did away with the spring. I used a mechanism for pressure that was similar to the mechanism in the original "Lock-Aid" tool, but it was largely unreliable.

I finally got a semi-automatic spring version up and running about six weeks ago, and ended up breaking it. So I'm working on making a new one of those, and building an electric model that runs off of a Dremel tool base that I made plans for.

My local hardware store has all of my money as a result.

Once I get some of these guys up and running, I'll post some pics of the tools, inside and out, and a few videos of them in action.

#15 RalphWiggum

RalphWiggum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:30 AM

What a flurry of support!

I've drawn up some good plans on it, but locks are, in reality, worth so little that I don't think I'd really get any interest from anywhere but the general public to buy one. Of course, I'll let you guys have it if I decide to start cranking them out. ;)

I actually made several variations, the basic idea being a trigger fired cyclical spring mechanism, although I have tried other ways of doing it. I made a series of attachments for the main gun by essentially crafting a very good bump key and cutting part of the head off of it, so that the blade remained, plus the piece of the head that was of the same specifications as the rest of the blade. I drilled a hole in what used to be the head, and this screws into the gun. Thus, you would still need varying types of blades for different locks. (A KW1 blade, a SC1 blade, etc.)

My first model was a one bump per cock mechanism... very simple. You pull a cocking handle, and then the trigger, and the force of the spring releasing pops the blade into the lock with enough force to bump it. The beauty of the system was that you put the tension on the tool itself, so the entire process can be completed with one hand. Out of seven Kwikset cylinders, it opens six of them on the first try >90% of the time.

The face of the tool where the blade is inserted has a rubber washer attached to it, so the impact blow from the blade being inserted into the lock doesn't leave an impression on the face of the cylinder. This was a problem initially, as the blow from the bump gun is slightly more than is necessary for most locks, as some locks (Schlage and Arrow in particular) really require a firm whack to get them open. My second model has variable spring pressure, so you can adjust the force of the proverbial strike to match the lock in question. In any case, the washer was added to prevent damage to the lock if the force was too high.

The first model that I speak of was actually a cannibalized "Lock-Aid" tool. I removed the majority of it's internal components, as they directed force upwards, not laterally. I more did it because it made the finished product look like a professional tool. I cut a groove on the side for my cocking handle, and added a spring and a mechanism for the trigger stop.

My second model was semi-automatic and did away with the spring. I used a mechanism for pressure that was similar to the mechanism in the original "Lock-Aid" tool, but it was largely unreliable.

I finally got a semi-automatic spring version up and running about six weeks ago, and ended up breaking it. So I'm working on making a new one of those, and building an electric model that runs off of a Dremel tool base that I made plans for.

My local hardware store has all of my money as a result.

Once I get some of these guys up and running, I'll post some pics of the tools, inside and out, and a few videos of them in action.

DO IT!!!!!! Sounds really good. I particularly like the rubber stopper to prevent the tell tale signs of a lock that has been bumped.

#16 RalphWiggum

RalphWiggum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 04:11 AM

Yeah, I'm totally waiting to A) Buy one or B) See the instructions on how to make one ;)

#17 bumber

bumber

Post-Aholic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:49 PM

i would think to much force would only cause damage but im sure urs is softish hitting by the small sping.

#18 kespup

kespup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:06 PM

I have an automatic bumping device and it works most of the time. It’s called a sledgehammer. You can get one in any hardware store.

#19 Kris

Kris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:21 PM

This a great tool and found that very interesting, see now bumping process is also going to be automated.

Chris