What a flurry of support!
I've drawn up some good plans on it, but locks are, in reality, worth so little that I don't think I'd really get any interest from anywhere but the general public to buy one. Of course, I'll let you guys have it if I decide to start cranking them out.
I actually made several variations, the basic idea being a trigger fired cyclical spring mechanism, although I have tried other ways of doing it. I made a series of attachments for the main gun by essentially crafting a very good bump key and cutting part of the head off of it, so that the blade remained, plus the piece of the head that was of the same specifications as the rest of the blade. I drilled a hole in what used to be the head, and this screws into the gun. Thus, you would still need varying types of blades for different locks. (A KW1 blade, a SC1 blade, etc.)
My first model was a one bump per cock mechanism... very simple. You pull a cocking handle, and then the trigger, and the force of the spring releasing pops the blade into the lock with enough force to bump it. The beauty of the system was that you put the tension on the tool itself, so the entire process can be completed with one hand. Out of seven Kwikset cylinders, it opens six of them on the first try >90% of the time.
The face of the tool where the blade is inserted has a rubber washer attached to it, so the impact blow from the blade being inserted into the lock doesn't leave an impression on the face of the cylinder. This was a problem initially, as the blow from the bump gun is slightly more than is necessary for most locks, as some locks (Schlage and Arrow in particular) really require a firm whack to get them open. My second model has variable spring pressure, so you can adjust the force of the proverbial strike to match the lock in question. In any case, the washer was added to prevent damage to the lock if the force was too high.
The first model that I speak of was actually a cannibalized "Lock-Aid" tool. I removed the majority of it's internal components, as they directed force upwards, not laterally. I more did it because it made the finished product look like a professional tool. I cut a groove on the side for my cocking handle, and added a spring and a mechanism for the trigger stop.
My second model was semi-automatic and did away with the spring. I used a mechanism for pressure that was similar to the mechanism in the original "Lock-Aid" tool, but it was largely unreliable.
I finally got a semi-automatic spring version up and running about six weeks ago, and ended up breaking it. So I'm working on making a new one of those, and building an electric model that runs off of a Dremel tool base that I made plans for.
My local hardware store has all of my money as a result.
Once I get some of these guys up and running, I'll post some pics of the tools, inside and out, and a few videos of them in action.