Photo
- - - - -

Is there something wrong with this bump key?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mofomikeman

mofomikeman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 06:20 PM

Here are my keys: (ones bump, ones original, should be easy to figure it out)
http://img90.imagesh.../kif0794cy2.jpg

#2 justinb

justinb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:34 PM

it looks like you didnt carve the gaps nearly deep enough

#3 mofomikeman

mofomikeman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:13 AM

I bought it from bumpkey.us...

#4 mofomikeman

mofomikeman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:45 AM

I filed it down all the way to the little line, it wasnt deep enough, you were right, but it still is not working. Here is a video of some of my attempts using the minimal movement method:

#5 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:22 PM

Here are my keys: (ones bump, ones original, should be easy to figure it out)
http://img90.imagesh.../kif0794cy2.jpg

You're first cut in the original key appears to be a be cut to the max. Try filing the same cut in the bump key a bit further... let us know what happens.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#6 mofomikeman

mofomikeman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:26 PM

tried, failed, is it my technique? watch the video i posted above please... i tried to do what toool said (mmt)

#7 Ah Mad Lad

Ah Mad Lad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:40 PM

I know your problem. You're confidense, in the video you tried it as if trying to prove to us it doesn't work. You should actually expect it to open when trying it, it really helps.

Also normal bump keys are cut to 999 which usually works, but the best bump key is cut to 10 10 10 which cannot be done by machine and since you have a deep cut in your original you will need deeper cuts, to the line almost.

Another thing I noticed when you hit the key you seem to be twisting the key right before you hit it. This is a common mistake, as it puts too much torque on the cylinder and binds the pins not allowing them to jump. The amount of torque you apply to the key should be very light and consistant, don't turn the key violently before beumping or even after, if you bumped it correctly it will simply open due to the light torque already acting on it.

Hope that helps, the first piece of advice is the most important.

#8 Ah Mad Lad

Ah Mad Lad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:42 PM

Try the Pull Out Method. Stick the key all the way in and pull it out one click, and then hit it, I like this method much better and it doesn't require you to file the tip or shoulder, although if you did already the Pullout Method will still work. Try it.

#9 mofomikeman

mofomikeman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:10 PM

i am now try the pullout method on a dexter lock, not on a door. i still cant seem to get it down. Ive watched every video on youtube trying to copy what they do, but I cant do it for some reason... is there some important fact im missing? what are the big things for the actual hitting technique

I kinda need this information in the next 20 minutes as I have to leave then, and I have a $200 bet that I can bump this dexter lock...

#10 Akina1021

Akina1021

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:38 PM

im sorry but i just have to comment on this, and i am not here to offend you but more on stressing how important it is not to show off.... first of all, i don't agree with you doing it as a bet... now thats just me though... If anything you should've studied a little more on it BEFORE you made a bet if you planned to do that.

This is my advice: the object you're hitting with should be a bit... flexable for a lack of a better word... like something you can use to flick and the end hits the key.. aka the holding blade of a knife(dull), screwdriver, hammer etc.. just a note: it REALLY helps if you get one of those bump hammers somewhere online... it'll make bumping ALOT easier... i do it fine when i use my wrist to strike it not the whole hand.... it could be how hard you are hitting it, and when you are turning that is affecting your performance too. You will be surprised at how ONLY a little bit of tension can actually be the reason why you are not getting it... cuz from past expierences, if its not a problem with the key, its in how much tension you are applying (and also MAYBE the tool you are hitting it with) i dunno if it helps, but all it takes is a little practice.

good luck with building up your skills in bumping man, like ah mad lad said, confidence is all it takes... just keep tryin i guess

#11 ChicagoLocks

ChicagoLocks

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:50 AM

You need to file the gaps more deeper and then it will work better. Filing sometime make the bumping hard if the keys are not filed well.
Sandy