• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Akina1021

Akina1021

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 03:20 PM

hey a locksmith in my neighborhood had some SC20s and i was asking him about it and wen i asked him to make one he said its a 6 pin key and only exists AS a 6 pin key....

Now my question is it indeed ONLY a 6-pin key? but then on your site for the SC20 the picture shows it as a 5-pin key... plus another thing... if it IS indeed a ONLY a 6-pin then how will it work as a skeleton key on 5 pin schlages?

and i did search around for it online.. i've only seen 6 pin ones... can anyone help me out on this one?

#2 Ah Mad Lad

Ah Mad Lad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:49 PM

The SC20 is a 6 pin key but that does not mean it wont work on a 5 pin lock. The spacing of a 5 pin SC and 6 pin SC are exactly the same, the only difference is the extra pin at the end. So the 6 pin SC20 will fit into any SC 5 pin or 6 pin lock. If you put it into a 5 pin lock, not all of it will fit in, but that's fine, it will work exactly the same as a 5 pin key.

#3 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 07:30 PM

you wont be able to do the minimal movement method though, because the shoulder will not connect with the lock.

#4 Akina1021

Akina1021

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:05 AM

hmm funny enough i went down the the locksmith later on today and he made me a SC19! and he said THATS the 5 pin one and the SC20 is the 6 pin... and theyre the same thing basically, its just 19=5pin 20=6 pin... cool.... thanks for the replies anyway guys

#5 Ah Mad Lad

Ah Mad Lad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:11 AM

hmm funny enough i went down the the locksmith later on today and he made me a SC19! and he said THATS the 5 pin one and the SC20 is the 6 pin... and theyre the same thing basically, its just 19=5pin 20=6 pin... cool.... thanks for the replies anyway guys

Your locksmith is correct, there are two different keys specifically for 5 pin keyways and 6 pin keyways, but as I tried explaining before the 6 pin key works perfectly fine in the 5 pin keyway. A bit unecessary, but hey, if you feel more comfortable with two keys then it's up to you.

It does seem that you need to do a bit of research on how the keys actually work www.toool.nl/bumping.pdf if you did then you would understand why a 6 pin key would work in a 5 pin keyway.

Also when starting out remember not to practice on a lock that you use often as you might damage the lock.

#6 Akina1021

Akina1021

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:23 AM

well yea i have seperate cylinders to practice on... and yes i realize its not neccesary but i always have prefered the minimal movement method over the other so yea... =]