Photo
- - - - -

Tips/Peaks on some keys look different than others?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 commando

commando

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:56 AM

so i just bought a set of 5 keys off ebay. i am going to the hardware store by my house to make a couple copies of each one (those guys probably think i'm crazy by now). then i'm gonna try and modify the tip/shoulders with my dremel tool. so here's my question;

some of the keys look different than others. in that some have peaks that are maybe 3 mm high while others have much higher peaks. does this matter? also THE BIG THING THAT CONCERNS ME is that the tips on some of the keys have this huge tooth on them. meaning that the peak on the tip is at maximum height while the other peaks are the smaller type. i will try to put up a pick of this soon.

do i need to fix this giant peak at the tip or is it supposed to be like that?

does anyone know anything about this. i am totally lost. thanks so much
"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment." -MARCUS AURELIUS

#2 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:40 PM

By your explanation it *sounds* like your keys should be OK. The heights of the peaks will sometimes be different.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#3 commando

commando

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:45 PM

thanks they work fine. this forum is a life saver by the way. i had just about given up on how to use these things then i saw that drawing showing where to file on the keys. Thanks Slick J
"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment." -MARCUS AURELIUS

#4 ArizonaLizard

ArizonaLizard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:21 PM

thanks they work fine. this forum is a life saver by the way. i had just about given up on how to use these things then i saw that drawing showing where to file on the keys. Thanks Slick J

Eh, and exactly where is this drawing?

#5 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:20 PM

[quote name='ArizonaLizard][quote=commando']thanks they work fine. this forum is a life saver by the way. i had just about given up on how to use these things then i saw that drawing showing where to file on the keys. Thanks Slick J[/quote]

Eh, and exactly where is this drawing?[/quote]

Under the FAQ - the top thread. the one that say: "Look here before asking questions. "

http://www.bumpkeyfo...wtopic.php?t=47

It really is a pretty simple process.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#6 Pleiades

Pleiades

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:59 AM

A common misconception is that the pins rest on the peaks, when in fact they rest in the valleys (cuts). The slopes are the surfaces that interact with the pins and transmit the bumping force to them. If you have a homemade key, and you have tried bumping a few times with it, you should be able to see marks on the slopes where the bevelled edge of the pin is hitting. If one of the slopes has a bigger dent in it then an uneven amount of force is being applied to the pins (meaning the cuts are not all the same depth).