3 replies to this topic

#1 bumpy

bumpy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 03:43 AM

Hi,

I've watched a few videos of bumping in action and it got me interested so I made my own bump key (or so I think) but it just doesn't seem to work. I have taken some metal off the tip and the shoulder.

I've tried pull-back method where I put the key in the lock and then pull out one click and then apply a little bit of pressure on the key to turn and hit the key and the minimal-movement method but neither seem to work.

Once I hit the key and it doesn't open, I rotate it to the opposite side and I think I can hear a few pins dropping down ?

Bump Key:
Posted Image

Original Key:
Posted Image

Bump Key and Original Key together:
Posted Image
(Click on the pictures to enlarge)

What could the problem be?
Should I make the grooves a bit deeper or is it something else ?

#2 bumpy

bumpy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:54 AM

I posted on another forum where a member gave me these suggestions:

When making a bumpkey, you should try keep the flat bit which the pin will sit on the same size; just lower. It's best to make the cut alittle deeper than 9, say 9.5 or 10.
Your key looks like the teeth are too high, and the flat bit of the valley is too narrow.

I went back and made the grooves a little deeper and made the teeth lower as well. I kept trying and thought it would never work, but it worked in the end. I've now opened the lock about 20 or so times using the pull-back method and only 4 times using the minimal-movement method.

Here's a high quality scanned picture of the bump key for those interested:

Posted Image

#3 GlassTastesGood

GlassTastesGood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:18 PM

nice baby. You got the touch.

#4 Kris

Kris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:13 AM

Great work on the tip and shoulder. bumping is all about learning and practice the more you practice the more you learn.

Chris