• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ah Mad Lad

Ah Mad Lad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:26 PM

OK, I feel stupid asking this, but which way should I turn the key? I've seen in different videos the key turning both ways but I ahven't been able to always make out the type of key used. It could just be the video image inversed. Does each lock turn a certain way? If so could people list their experience in which way each key turns?

Schlage

Kwikset

Weiser

Master

Yale

#2 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:58 PM

I guess it really depends which way the lock is setup. There is no 'correct' way to turn the key. Each lock is different.

#3 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 03:34 AM

the lock should be able to be bumped both ways, except only one of the ways will actually unlock it. That has been my experience. Try both ways (feel free to correct)

#4 fred5874

fred5874

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 06:46 AM

That is why locksmiths have a tool called a spinner. If they turn the lock the wrong way, the spinner will reverse directions without needing to repick.

#5 bumber

bumber

Post-Aholic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:17 PM

in my exp if the pins are on top in a door turn it to the right vise/versa although if ur lookin at a dead bolt just turn the key so it "pulls" the bolt into the door.B/C most people turn the whole lock not just the plug. this probly makes no sense,sorry

#6 sniper101

sniper101

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:35 PM

I know that for deadbolts that are mounted on a door, the right way(which unlocks the lock), is the opposite of which side the lock is mounted. For example, is the deadbolt is on the left side of the door, then you have to bump it to the right so that the bolt is not being stopped. And vice versa for the right side, you should bump it to the left.

#7 bentpick

bentpick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:10 PM

Some locks are easier to pick or bump in one direction....as an example, i have a mounted Schlage lock that I can bump a hundred times in one direction, but have never once bumped in the other direction. As stated previously, a plug spinner is the answer!!

Do not buy the black 'simple plug spinner' it will work, but what a piece o' crap.....the SouthOrd pen size spinner is the BOMB. SouthOrd kicks azzzz!!!

#8 bumber

bumber

Post-Aholic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:12 PM

ive never used a plug spinner whats it do like pull the plug around?
Bump It And You Will Enter

#9 kespup

kespup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:54 AM

A plug spinner is a great trick. I have two in my little black bag of tricks both manual and automatic. It is a device used in conjunction with lock picking or bumping.

Usually but not always if a lock is mounted on the right it unlocks counter clockwise. If it is mounted on the left it unlocks clockwise. Sometimes this is not true and you bump or pick the lock in the wrong direction and the plug will turn in the direction of locked. Sometimes a lock is easer to bump or pick in the direction of locked and again the plug turns but because it is in the direction of locked the lock will not unlock.

What a plug spinner does is rapidly rotates the plug after it has been bumped or picked in the direction of locked, and because of the centrifugal force being exerted, the pins do not bind (engage) relocking the lock as they pass the sheer line. Then by using a torque (tension) wrench used in conjunction with lock picking you can finish rotating the plug in the direction of unlocked.

#10 MrLocks

MrLocks

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:13 PM

Some locks need clockwise and some counterclockwise turn. I worked on most of the lock which need counterclockwise to open and they are very basic.
Sandy